Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kids prefer fuzzy blankets >

Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Kids prefer fuzzy blankets

Old 11-12-2023, 06:04 AM

I put a soft fleece of some kind for the backing on many kids quilts and they seem to like that. Depending on the feel of the quilt I may not even put batting in some of these as the backing and top are enough.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:04 PM

I Use fleece to back the kids quilts. They do like that extra softness.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
Yup. This is why I have not made quilts for one set of grandkids. They have many fleece blankets And I have aand told me quilts made them 'cold'. Maybe when they are older.
I have a grand (now 24) who loved the quilt I made because it was cool! He had to sleep in the top bunk of a bunk bed...

He also loved it, in his words, "Because I watched you make it." He won the 'Best Grand Kid of the Year Award' when he said that!
Old 11-14-2023, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
I've done it both ways -- without any batting, and also with a layer of thin batting. Both came out fine. The one w/o batting was very flexible and scrunchable. Only thing to watch for when quilting with the fleece backing is not to stretch it. I have a longarm --- never tried using fleece when quilting on a regular domestic machine.
If you're using a long arm to quilt, I suggest that you quilt across the length of fleece fabric, not width of fabric. Length of fleece fabric stretches a lot less than wof. I always use an 80/20 batting because it feels a puffier and I like that.

Last edited by cathyvv; 11-14-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:08 PM

I'm at an age where I kind of know family members who will appreciate a quilt and yes the soft cuddly stuff is so comfortable.
I'm actually going to try to sell some of my fabric as I only want to keep what I know will be used in some kind of project. I recently gave a quilt to a friend's daughter's wedding. It was one I had previously made and I kind of knew the likes of the couple so I picked out of one of them and gifted it to them. The quilt I gave them is now on their bed and they both really like it.