Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: King sized '6 hour quilt', pattern question

King sized '6 hour quilt', pattern question

I want to replace the ugly bedspread in my RV...lol. I am thinking of using Kaye Wood's, '6 hour quilt', pattern. My RV bed is a king sized. I want the quilt to be nice and warm. I am thinking of using,
    Warm & Natural for my batting.
    Would this sound like a good choice for batting for this pattern and warmth? Thank you for your input.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

Blog Entries
    do you have a pic of a 6 hr. quilt????

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-03-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

I chose this pattern because it is a quilt as you go pattern. I have made a small version before and found it very easy. Due to the size of a king sized quilt I felt it would be an easy quilt.

Blog Entries
    What kind of batting did you use for the small quilt you made in the past? I have made the baby quilt version of this pattern several times and I have used a very lofty poly batting. I figured it will be washed a lot, and I think it looks better thick and puffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
    I want to replace the ugly bedspread in my RV...lol. I am thinking of using Kaye Wood's, '6 hour quilt', pattern. My RV bed is a king sized. I want the quilt to be nice and warm. I am thinking of using,
    Warm & Natural for my batting.
    Would this sound like a good choice for batting for this pattern and warmth? Thank you for your input.
    You could use the warm & nat and/or wool. that would be nice & toasty
    SUEB

Blog Entries
    I did a similiar method but mine had a large squarer shape centre. So from centre grew quickly. For a RV I would use a good batting but what about a lovely soft fleece backing?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    use warm fabrics with your warm & natural- the batting is a good choice for the type of quilt- I've made a number of the 6-hour quilts- if you use flannel you will have a nice warm quilt
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Great ideas everyone! Thank you sew much for your input!!

I have used warm and natural for the 6 hour quilt and was not as pleased with it as when I used a combination of poly and cotton. I think the quilt is meant to be "fluffy" and the warm and natural is too flat
    Carmen E.

If I want a warmer quilt I do use the Warm and Natural batting but also back the quilt with a pieced flannel backing, perfect for cold winter nights in northern Wisconsin.

If you could afford it I would go with wool.

I love everyone's thoughts and ideas! Now I have several great ideas to ponder before I jump in to making this quilt. I agree, that the warm and natural may be too flat looking.. however, if you have ever attempted to tuck in sheets, blankets and quilt at the head of an RV bed you will realize there isn't room for even a toothpick to be tucked in...LOL so may warm and natural would be best in that instance. LOVE the idea of fleece or flannel as backing!! I know wool is perfect for warmth but I am allergic to it, so that won't work but a great idea!! Thank you sew much everyone!

Power Poster
    I think it would make a great RV quilt. I think Warm & Natural would be a great choice because of the length between stitching, is lovely to machine quilt and it makes a nice warm quilt.

My Kaye Wood quilt is still in the "works" about 1 year so far, I am using silks and fluffy batting. It is put together with my serger. It is about the size of a baby quilt now. People have given me pieces of fabric and I had some, I don't care about the color, all colors will blend if you have enough.

Silk batting would also be a good choice.

With the right fabric I think it would be great

I had not seen the 6 hour quilt until now when I checked the link. Is the backing pieced also? I can't figure out how it's quilt as you go if it's pieced on the back too.

quitingbuddy; Yes, the back is also pieced. It is cut the same size as the front and batting.

I have made too many to count crib size using this pattern. I used flannel for top and bottom, W&N for batting. They turned out great!!! Because flannel tends to fray so easily, after stitching each row, I serged the edges. That may just be me being over cautious.

Patti
    A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Pzazz... I too would serge the edges with flannel.. great minds think alike!!

I have the pattern and if you think you can do it, go for it. King size is a very large quilt. But I wouldn't depend on getting it done in 6 hours.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

ManiacQuilter2:
    I have zero intention of finishing it in 6 hours!! LOL

Ya know.. if you want it even toastier you could use corduroy to make the quilt with or use a nice flannel on the backing in addition to the batting. A corduroy quilt would surely chase the chills away. I know it isn't a standard quilting material but it is warm and soft I have a corduroy quilt in the works.