Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits vs Stash >

Kits vs Stash

Kits vs Stash

Old 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM

Default Kits vs Stash

Getting tired of going thru my stash to sew up patterns I have. Does this happen to you? Do you take time out and just buy a quilt to give your brain a break?
Old 11-11-2020, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

My aim is to use up as much of my stash as possible. I never buy pre cuts or kits. I would never buy a quilt.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:11 PM

I'm on a mission to use up fabric I have so I don't buy kits. I like the process of picking out fabrics that work together and like the original look of scrappy from-my-stash-fabrics.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:53 PM

After I make a stash quilt, I usually go for a coordinated quilt out of precuts, just to give it a break and just sew. I love scrappies but they do have a tendency to mess up the sewing room.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

For years after DH died I was unable to do much sewing. I started buying some kits for the first time, to see if that would get me back into quilting. It did help, but I also wound up with some kits that I now have little interest in. I'm finally getting back into the mode of using my stash, and I find that much more rewarding.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:00 AM

I've been gifted a few kits but I have paid them forward so to speak. Recently, I was given 2-3 panels. I'd never worked with a panel but I did do one.. Quick fix for a baby quilt. Now that my family is growing, I have 2 more reasons to use the remaing 2 panels. I currently have a scrappy quilt that I am making for myself. I've saved fabric from each of the projects I've made so that is where I pull from.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:08 AM

I've never bought a kit, preferring to do my own fabric selection, but I do buy fat quarter bundles or jelly rolls once in a while. I like to make a coordinated quilt now and then. It is nice to do both scrappy and coordinated.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:57 AM

I have kits for those times I want/need something more detailed to focus my brain on. I’m currently working on a BOM that I get once a month. It’s been nice to work on, as it’s the only project I have been able to do so far this year.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:08 AM

I must admit I have lots of kits - sometimes I buy them just for the fabric when a kit is on sale. Other times it’s just because I like the fabric selection and don’t have to make too many decisions- just have to sew.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 AM

I have never purchased a kit. I inherited a very large stash and have been working at whittling it down. I look at the cost of the kit and think about all the fabric I have and shake my head no. Recently I was given a kit by a quilter who is cleaning out her stash of many unused kits. It is quite lovely and will be a shill challenge er. It will be my 2021 "Kick off the new year" quilt.

If you are more comfortable with kits, Juliemn1, then revel in them. We all approach quilts and quilting in different ways. My daughter is a kit only person, because at this stage of her life she does not want the stash growing around her. She will inherit my sewing room eventually and have plenty of stash....... but not too soon I hope.