Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kittie T-shirt quilt >

Kittie T-shirt quilt

Kittie T-shirt quilt

Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
How about a small red border (around the whole thing), and then the gray, wider border? Use gray for the sashing around the squares.That would give color without being overpowering.
I think that shade of red and that shade of grey together will look kind of muddy together. But if I use a brighter red that tiny little border will stand out too much like it did when I had used it for the whole quilt. And I'm thinking since the t-shirts have busy designs that I should have a simple, solid border.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Oh, I almost forgot! I've been trying to figure out if I should piece together my borders and sashing or buy longer pieces of fabric so I don't have to piece them together and have one continueous piece. ...if I'm not making sense on this let me know. But what do you think would be better or does it really matter? I never done borders and sashing before so I'm not really sure.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Well, tomorrow at midnight I get paid and I'll start the process of getting t-shirts. Going to get all the ones listed on the official website and this one that was selling on eBay (I hope its still there). I'll probably have to buy one for myself so I don't end up wanting to keep them all for myself! lol.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM

How about a small red border (around the whole thing), and then the gray, wider border? Use gray for the sashing around the squares.That would give color without being overpowering.
I like this idea too.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I like this idea too.
Like this?

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...IDEA2_grey.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM

PayPal finally got my desposit and I just did my first transaction on eBay and bought two Kittie shirts. I'm so excited! In two weeks I'll start getting in shirts to work with!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But I'm gonna be sad when I get around to cutting them up. In particular, the older shirts that are harder to find and very rare to find them in new condition (kind of got lucky with these two). Hmmm, I think I'll have to buy a shirt for myself so I won't feel so guilty. ;)
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Ooooh! I'm so mad right now! Swore a lot on the project journal I've been keeping on my computer. Guess I was channeling Kittie from their earlier days.

I got an email today telling me one of my orders was canceled and refunded because they did not have the shirt in stock! Well if ya don't have it WHY is it listed on your website?! Ticks me off because it was an awesome shirt and it was one of the older ones, too (on the quilt pic, its the second shirt on the top row). Plus, if I bought all the shirts I found I'd only have one extra shirt to work with for this quilt...the extra one is a double sided one. So not getting that shirt is not a total loss because I have a back up and I'll still have an extra square so I'm not too panicked about it. If I loose any more shirts like this THEN I'll be screwed.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 AM

Update time!

I have 7 shirts so far. 8 once I pay for one I got on eBay later today. One of the shirts is double sided so I'll have 9 out of 16 squares needed for this project.

A couple of the shirts I originally wanted I couldn't get because they either weren't available in the first place or sold before I could place an order. Three shirts from the official Kittie website haven't been restocked yet so that kind of puts a damper on the project because without those I'm out 4 squares.

I managed to snag a super ultra rare "Spit" shirt ("Spit" was the name of Kittie's first album). Being that it bears the image of their first album cover it has to be like ten years old. It was used, but it looked to be in good condition. And it was too good to pass up. So I bought it and decided if it wasn't in near perfect condition I'd just use it for myself. It looks almost as new as the other shirts (which are new). The only difference being its half a shade lighter than the other shirts. You can barely tell when you put it against another shirt so I think it will be impossible to tell once the borders are in place. So its going into the quilt!

My boyfriend (who's getting this awesome quilt) started talking to me again after 3 1/4 months. I think I failed to mention that he wasn't talking. No, he wasn't being a total jerk. He's just been through a lot. The week he was supposed to come up here and hang out his cousin commited suicide. After that his dad got double ammonia, his liver failed, and had to be put on life support and had surgery done. Tim watched him die when his heart finally gave out. Not even two weeks after that they found out his step-dad's cancer came out of remission. Can't blame him for not wanting to be around anyone. This project got started after not hearing from him for six weeks and the only thing that happened was the suicide and his dad needing surgery. Gotta say I must have an extreme amount of faith. A guy doesn't call for three months and start thinking about making a quilt for him after a month and a half of no contact. When he called me he was worried I'd kick him to the curb from not calling for so long.

Tim needs surgery on the 10th (seriously, how much crap can a person go through in four months?) and he'll be laid up for six weeks. So that means he's not getting this quilt on Christmas since he won't be able to do any major traveling. Earliest he can come up is January. That gives me at least one extra week to finish. Maybe if I play my cards right I can find a longarm quilter who specializes in t-shirt quilts and have it quilted by January. I figure if I get all the shirts by the end of this month I'll have enough time to piece the top together.