Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Klunk!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    You ASKED hubby?
    Well ASKED as in FOR PERMISSION is not a true representation of how we work. lol But yes, we discuss large purchases AND he is my quilting advisor, so he is "up" on the latest in quilting/sewing. It is more like he talks me into going through with it. :oops:

Just to give a counter example, he asked my counsel when he wanted to buy a laptop just for his telescope. I had to convince him to go through with that.

I had to reread the post on asking 'us' what to do....to buy a machine or not...?!! Let me guess...you asked only knowing what we would reply with:)LOL And, we are so efficient!LOL

I vote 'yes'!! Espec if you get to test drive:)Then you will know for sure all on your own:)Good luck! SKeat....who has a 'deal' w/dh that we both discuss anything over 200 before purchase. It's always a good thing...:0)Espec since I don't keep up on tire tred and etc around here...and, want no surprises like 'ah-oh'! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    I vote 'yes'!! Espec if you get to test drive:)T
    Yeah, that "asking" was more rhetorical. lol

Skeat, you should have seen me on the test drive. I couldn't get over the fact that it lifted its little foot. I'm still laughing about my own response.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    I vote 'yes'!! Espec if you get to test drive:)T
    Yeah, that "asking" was more rhetorical. lol

Skeat, you should have seen me on the test drive. I couldn't get over the fact that it lifted its little foot. I'm still laughing about my own response.
    I bet there is nothing better then a sewing machine that reads your minds...:)Maybe it makes great java too!:)Don't be caught hugging that machine!LOL Skeat

Okay now did you buy the little darling?.....:-)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Martina - you asked the right people! BUY BUY BUY!!!! I love the little foot lifting thing, sounds so CUUUTE the way you say it! 'It lifts its little foot' bless it! A machine that obliging, you've just gotta have it! :D

The lifting foot is a great feature. I love it. Hope you made the right decision!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I feel your pain! I went in to get some work done on my BEAUTIFAL Pfaff Quilt Expressions 2046 and discovered the Pfaff Expressions 4.0. OMG it practically makes the quilt for you! The features are amazing, including a little thread snipper, the auto lift, and a huge space, plus double lighting. I almost bought it, but the fact that I'm working full time and my husband is home laid off work struck me as a bit of a selfish move on my part. Especially when my kids want to go to Disneyland and I tell them there's no extra money...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    Okay now did you buy the little darling?.....:-)
    After work :lol:

http://www.pfaff.com/global/126_591.html

I'm jealous. It's got more features than mine does. But my Viking is pretty close.

Blog Entries
    One of the guys at work laughed. He said: So you went to pick up some new spark plugs and drove off with a new car. I suppose that is the man-speak equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    One of the guys at work laughed. He said: So you went to pick up some new spark plugs and drove off with a new car. I suppose that is the man-speak equivalent.
    LOL!! Good look with it - it looks like an awesome machine!!! :lol:

Wow -- very nice machine!!

Blog Entries
    So I did my homework (read reviews, checked the web, and called other local dealers). The gal in Vacaville told me that the 2058 was a closeout special and that she could get me one for @1,200. I called the local shop and said: What gives? They matched the Vacaville price and I went by to pick it up after work. TaDaaaaa!!! I'm jazzed. gotta read the book though.

WooHoo girl! Way to go -- it really helps when we do our homework and can quote someone's price that is cheaper!! HeeHee

Blog Entries
    I got the impression she wasn't happy with me on the phone. However, she had recovered by the time I got to the store. Didn't even have to remind her that she lost the last sale when I got the Grandquilter because she refused to negotiate.

Congrats on the new machine. Let me know if you like and if you think it was worth the dollars. I have a brother and like it pretty good but if I continue quilting I may invest in a higher end machine.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Congrats Martina! I've just looked at the features and it looks wonderful! I love the patchwork feature where it remembers the seam length! The only thing I can't find is how big it's throat is? I want to upgrade when we've got the cash and was thinking of the Janome 6600 but I like the idea of a Pfaff - good solid German engineering! Let me know how you like it, OK?

Banned
    ouch. i hope its fixable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Congrats Martina! I've just looked at the features and it looks wonderful! I love the patchwork feature where it remembers the seam length! The only thing I can't find is how big it's throat is? I want to upgrade when we've got the cash and was thinking of the Janome 6600 but I like the idea of a Pfaff - good solid German engineering! Let me know how you like it, OK?
    It's got a "regular" throat which is fine for me. I did look at the Pfaff Expressions series which is their new line. It has a 10" throat BUT the reviews were pretty bad. It has a drop in bobbin and the transition from the table to the bobbin is bumpy and flips the seams. Also, the foot pulls the fabric crooked and it easily eats the fabric. Too much trouble for my taste. I stick with what I know.

As far as the "German Engineering" goes: the machines are made in China, which dampens my enthusiasm a little bit. Heard great things about the Janome, but I believe it doesn't have the built-in walking foot and that is still a must for me.

Congrats on your new machine! :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I guess throat isn't really an issue unless you do a lot of big quilts. The Janome has a walking foot attachment - how is that different from built in? i really like the seam length feature on the Pfaff though - I guess I have to decide which features are the most important for me. If I win the lotto, I can get one of each, but not likely since I don't DO the lotto! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I thought ALL Pfaff machines were made in Germany- aren't they?
    Those WERE the days. Nope - Pfaff is off-shoring these days.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I guess throat isn't really an issue unless you do a lot of big quilts. The Janome has a walking foot attachment - how is that different from built in? i really like the seam length feature on the Pfaff though - I guess I have to decide which features are the most important for me. If I win the lotto, I can get one of each, but not likely since I don't DO the lotto! :lol:
    The add-on foot is loud and clunky (in my opinion) whereas the built in just hooks under the sewing foot and you don't even know it's there. (I immediately know when it is not engaged though.) I also have a GrandQuilter with a 9" throat. (didn't win the Lotto - just saved A LOT. (No kids - need I say more?) DH had the nerve to say: Well honey - some people collect baseball cards, you collect sewing machines. :twisted:

Already had my first disaster last night: apparently the thread wasn't secured well in tension slot B and slipped out without me realizing. Suddenly, the machine sucked my sample swatch into the throat plate with the needle firmly engaged. It didn't move up - didn't move down, I freaked. So I calmed down and dismantled the throat plate (great way to get intimate). Took a while to dislodge all the threads. BUT I am back in business. I didn't realize that it has a mirroring feature. Now that's nice!

I have the Janome 660 and it does have the built in walking foot. There is a piece that you can flip under the presser foot which is attached to the machine and makes it the dual feed as in a Pfaff. It also has the quarter inch foot that has the same feature. I love mine because of the larger throat space.

I meant to say I have the Janome 6600

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast