Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Knee lifter

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have one but don't use it. For some reason I can't seem to grasp the left-footed pedal control. I always use my right foot and bump the knee lift at the same time. Not good!

Gosh, have been doing it wrong all this time??? I use the knee lift on my Bernina 640 and use the right foot to give it the gas as well. I didn't know I should train my left foot for something! Oh well, it works for me so I'll keep on sewing.

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's leg goes numb! It's the strangest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
    Does anyone know how much it costs to install a knee lift on a Bernini. Just bought a used 135pe and want to have it installed. 120 was the price quoted and it seems a bit high.. I've never used that feature but I think I want
    I had one installed in a previous Bernina and that is about what it cost me. I eventually traded that machine but made sure to get one that had the knee lift. I love it. It allows me to keep my hands on my fabric. Somehow this works better for me. I know some people don't like it. One of my stitching buddies doesn't like it at all. She won't use it.

I am getting used to the left foot on the control while the right leg is for the knee lift but I used the right leg/foot for both for a long time.

Maybe you can try one at your dealer's shop before you invest.

Good luck and enjoy all your stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I tried to find the "Universal" one - what a great idea and it had some good reviews but apparently went out of production. I like that it was foot pedal operated (same as the brake and gas pedal on a car). Apparently it is out of production.

I really wish some manufacturer would make a one like it! BTW The Pfaff Exp 4.0 also has one.
    And that is how I found this thread - I too was looking for the 'universal presser foot lifter' attachment! I remember they were every where a few years ago and now nothing! Rats! I was looking for this attachment to use with my Singer machine, it is the one I take with me to classes and would really like to have that presser foot lifter for it.

I have been sewing on a Viking Designer SE for 3 yrs and it has the all the features the new Pfaff Expression 4.0 has, the auto sensor pivot foot is grand as are all the other goodies! I am going to the nearest Pfaff dealer this Thursday to test drive a few machines, I am thinking of selling my Viking and going back to Pfaff.
    Happy Seams to you, until we meet again!
    Ani

Banned
    I have one that came with my Bernina which I bought in the early 1990s. Tried it, couldn't get used to it and I'd never had trouble nor minded lifting the presser foot manually. By now it's probably eloped with all the other things I can't find in my quilting room.

It took me some time to learn to use the knee lift on my Bernina. I kept trying to use it for sewing. I think I once had a sewing machine that had a lever on the side and you used your knee against it to make the machine sew. Once I finally got over that, I loved the knee lift. It is great for doing machine appliqué and I use the knee lift when I am stitching in the ditch. I use my right leg and right foot. That works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    Years ago the Singers (and probably some of the others as well) had the knee thing that would stop and start the machine, like the foot pedal. Mom's 66 Singer had that and I grew up using it. Haven't used one that worked the presser foot!
    The machine I learned to sew on was a Singer with the knee on/off. I tried using it on my Bernina but I guess It was too ingrained on me as a start other than a presser foot lifter. I may have to try again someday.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I have one with my new Horizon, and am getting used to it. I think I'm going to love, along with the automatic thread cutter. :-)

I'm probably the only one who will say they can't stand it!! For me, it is a coordinating mess.....I cannot coordinate my brain with doing that with my knee. I tried it on my Bernina several times and each time found myself doing the lifting by hand. I just don't have the patience to get used to it, I guess. Mine is hanging in the closet.
    "Worry is about doing something you can do nothing about."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2