Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knit fabrics >

Knit fabrics

Knit fabrics

Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 AM

Default Knit fabrics

I'm wondering if anyone has used knit fabrics (probably interfaced) as quilt backing. I have several pieces and don't do garment sewing anymore. Maybe I could cut into squares and use like you do a t-shirt quilt OR should I just donate to the thrift store? I'd appreciate your input.

Jeri
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM

I would think that you’d need to use interfacing or else the stretch would be a nightmare, IMHO to use it for backing would be more work than I would be willing to put into it. I would just donate it, someone with far more expertise will come along and give you better suggestions.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Some knits stretch a lot - some stretch very little.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

My thoughts would be, generally, no, but when you have the fabric and want to use it, sometimes that just spurns us on to give it all a try! Besides, many of us have used fleece (which is a knit) for a backing, so why should we say no?

Too, it may depend on what type of quilt you are making, and what results you would consider acceptable to you.

Anything is possible!!!! ........ you might want to do a trial quilt, where if things go wrong, you won't be too upset.

When I used fleece for my backing, I reversed my sandwich making order ..... the quilt top went against the table, then the fleece (no batting), on top, so I could be aware of any stretch I was getting into the fleece. It worked fine and several years later, I am quite pleased with the quilt.

Give it a try ... remember, anything is possible!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 AM

I have a big supply of plain colored knits and the only thing I think I may use it for is making rugs. I don't know how to do this but someday I will learn.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 PM

JeriMae, I think one important factor would be if it is just plain knit fabric, like jersey for t-shirts, double knit from the 70's, knit with a spandex component, or knit ribbing. Those last two would be much more, er, challenging. The double knit would probably be workable, and the jersey ok if it was interfaced.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:09 PM

I've heard that rest homes like lap quilts made with good sized squares double knits and tied. They evidently stand up to frequent washing very well. So if you do charity quilts this would be a good use.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 AM

Long ago, I used t-shirt fabric for a backing and tied it. It was a firm t-shirt fabric, not flimsy like one sees today. So if you’re going to tie it, great. If you’re going to stitch it...probably it would have too much stretch. Try a sample and see if it works.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Before I started quilting I decided to make my small son a quilt- having zero knowledge. Most of the fabrics were knits. It was back in the 80's. I remember my SIL asked me if I knew how to quilt and I said "Oh yeah, of course" only because I knew how to sew I thought it would be easy- wrong!
What a nightmare- it never got finished lol
I don't like working with knits but I'm sure there's a way to do it. I just don't know it!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:27 AM

Just a warning, my Grandmother made a double knit quilt from her clothing scraps. It was very heavy.