I THINK IT IS A WORK OF ART AN GLAD YOU TOOK A PICTURE
Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Gloria’s Happy Hooker
2733 Ashmun
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

owner Gloria Larke is terrific
[email protected]
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Thank you kay for the address. I'm looking forward to possibly getting there!

And dizzy, I'm so glad you like my "quilt"/cake! I had forgotten the technizues I had used to make it until I saw the pictures again (my avatar is just too small to appreciate my techniques).

Love this site! So terrific to have a group of friends who understand my addiction and are willing to feed into it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

\Thanks one and all!

Odessa
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Your cake is awesome.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Joey, love your avatar. if you don't mind sharing, is that a quilt you've made? and if so, could you advise on techniques used/post a better pic? i'm trying to do a tropical reef/fish quilt for my grandson for xmas. he's 3-1/2 and he LOVES tropical fish! thanx much

odessa
Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 AM
rb.

Kay, thanks for the tip on Gloria's Happy Hooker...I'm in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, just a hop across the bridge, and I had no idea it was there. I've been to Joanne's over there, but never heard of Gloria's.

OdessaQuilts, if you make it to Sault, MI, and you have passports, hop on the bridge (right at the end of I75), and c'mon over here to Sault, Ontario. On our main downtown street (516 Queen St. E), you will find Life's A Stitch, our local quilt store. And don't forget to sign their guest book. They have a lot of American customers.

http://www.lifesastitch.ca/
Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 AM

Are you going 23 North? AuGres, Bay View Calicos(love it) East Tawas, Cotton Patch on Newman, turn right at the light Oscoda, Sunshine Quilt shop, on the right before you get into town.....Harrisville, Hollyhock quilt shop, turn right at light, on left side. All my favorite haunts....
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM

thanks rb for the ontario shop info. my birthday is this month and I'm getting one of those "enhanced" driver's licenses so I can cross the border and back without problems. hubby doesn't have one, but I can just leave him on the Michigan side for a while (it'll be okay ... it's not snowing out yet so he won't freeze! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) I may just have to pop over!

And Linda, we'll probably be traveling I-75 this time, but have been to Hollyhock in Harrisville before (loved it!) and to Bay View in AuGres (but it wasn't open the day I was there and stopped by). We may just have to take a meandering route this time ....

Oh, the fabrics are calling my name ....

........... Odessa! ..................

.................... Odessa! .....................

............. Odessa! .........................

Dare I answer? Hubby may want to eat on this trip!

O
Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 PM

On the way there is Two Sisters by Bear Lake --Pig Patch Farms in Scottville--Quilt Fabric and Siccsors in New Era==Quilted Memories in Montgue--The mercantil in Whitehall and these are just my personal favorites :D
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM

I am a Yooper and therefore eminently qualified to answer this question! I think we have a quilt store in most of our little towns. You should look in the yellow pages as you pass through the towns. I have been to a few around here and will list those for you, but I don't know how close you will be to my area, so I don't know if these will help.

I live a block or so away from Quilter's Haven in Menominee, MI, and just across the bridge from us in Marinette, WI is a smallish shop called Pine Street Quilts. I consider it my civic duty to stop in to Quilter's Haven at least every couple of weeks. I wouldn't want the economy to suffer too much, right? LOL!

There is the one that Kay mentioned- Jeri's Quilt Patch in Norway and that one is neat- it's an old house with antiques and stuff for sale in addition to fabric. They have a huge sale every year around the Super Bowl where they sell fat quarters for FIFTY CENTS!! It's a madhouse in there for that.

I visited one in Ironwood, Mi- it's called the Fabric Patch- a long time ago. I think it was a smallish store, lots of Thimbleberries type fabrics. Ok, I just googled it and it's a BIG store. So it's not the one I went to, unless they made it bigger. I think I want to go there after googling it. It looks AWESOME!

I haven't been to the store in Escanaba, but the gals at Quilter's Haven really rave about it- the owner's name is Glenna and I guess she is an amazing quilter and very nice. http://www.quiltsnstuff.net/
There is the website and this is one that I would like to visit in the future, just because I have heard good things about it.

I follow a blog for a West Michigan shop. I haven't been there, but here is the blog with the store's address: http://westmichquilter.blogspot.com/

I hope that helps! If you do go to Quilter's Haven, tell them Lisa sent you! Or better yet, PM me and I will meet you over there. :0)