Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Know a new way to machine bind your quilt? >

Know a new way to machine bind your quilt?

Know a new way to machine bind your quilt?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
I use 2 1/4" binding strips, folded over. I sew on the wrong side of the quilt, using the 'unfolded' edges of the binding 1/4 " from the edge. Then I fold over to the front. I make sure the seam from sewing the back of the binding on is completely covered by the binding (some tutorials on YouTube do not do this and I prefer the covered seam look) before I sew down the binding on the front of the quilt. I use a blanket stitch, buttonhole stitch or another simple decorative stitch. This way, the design of the stitches catches your eye before any 'crooked discrepancies' of the binding hit the quilting police's eye. I cannot hand sew the binding on the large quilts due to impatience and tired fingers and hands. So I let the colorful bindings and decorative sewing stitches speak for my lack of perfection. I would rather have it look nice and be done with it at the same time.
Thank you. I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes cannot hold a needle to hand sew a binding. I'm going to try your method.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Can you do the fancy machine stitches with a walking foot? I like hand stitiching the binding to the back but it would be much quicker to machine stitch. However I only sew with a walking foot on the quilt to keep it from binding up unevenly.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I have been to many national quilt shows and chatted with the award winners, eavesdropped behind the quilt (LOL) and have discovered that the award winning quilters will incorporate any non traditional method that works to make the quilt look how they want it to look. The look is what gets the money, not how it was made to get the perfect look.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 03-09-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM

I do mine similar to this, but sometimes use clear thread in the bobbin and on top for the top stitch. I use a stitch that sews straight in the ditch, then goes over to the left to catch the binding, then sews straight again. It looks hand stitched!

I also use this technique to applique sometimes by machine.

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 View Post
I use a 2 1/2" binding. I also sew the binding to the back and topstitch on the front with a decorative stitch such as the hem stitch. I readjust the size to fit my binding.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Lots of great ideas here! If the back is not yet trimmed, you can leave it large enough to fold it to the front to create a 'binding'. Really looks quite nice :-)
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe View Post
Can you do the fancy machine stitches with a walking foot? I like hand stitiching the binding to the back but it would be much quicker to machine stitch. However I only sew with a walking foot on the quilt to keep it from binding up unevenly.
If your walking foot is made for zigzag instead of only straight stitch (It has a wide opening for the needle instead of a small opening.) you should be able to use decorative stitches. Try setting the machine for the decorative stitch you want and then turn the wheel slowly by hand to make sure the needle clears the foot.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM

I didn't read all the replies but did anyone mention checking Sharon Schamber's free tute on her website or somewhere? I do her method. Very seldom so I hand sew a binding anymore!!!!!