Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Koala cabinet - need help deciding >

Koala cabinet - need help deciding

Koala cabinet - need help deciding

Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 AM

WOW Quilter in MN - that is a beautiful piece of furniture - I bet you ARE excited to get it. I'm going to go look to see if he has a web site.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM

I also have the Horn table (Quilters Dream) and have had it for about 12 years now. I love it. I keep the back extension up all the time and have 2 Ikea file drawers on both ends. I also have the 5 drawer cabinet that fits on the left side of the table.
I use the end of the table for cutting -I keep a mat on there all the time. It's great for squaring up blocks, etc.
I use the back extension side for scrapbooking. here are a couple photos.
Attached Thumbnails craft-room-beginnings_005.jpg   my-craft-room_001_004.jpg   my-craft-room_001_005_001.jpg  

Last edited by Karenowc; 05-04-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Photos didn't attach
Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM

I suggest you get at least one thread chest (without the thread). I have the Sewmate IV and love it to keep sewing tools in such as the machine feet, scissors, etc. The drawer storage bin is great. The thread boxes were thrown in for free on my offer. I would not pay for them.

I love the outback extension for quilting large quilts. I pull my cabinet away from the wall and pull it up to do FMQ. I was sure I would not like the added height -- I don't like to be on a tall chair. I still use my dining room table to cut -- it's 29", the same as my cabinet. I'm 5'5" and it works the same as it has for the last 50 years of sewing. When I get a sewing studio (LOL), I'll add a Koala craft table.

I have the front door shelves, but I really only use the one on my right. I'm not sure I would use them if I had the Quiltmate.

There are a lot of great brands to choose from. For me, the Koala was very attractive and has been wonderful.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM

I have a Gristmill table as well (I also have a custom designed cutting table by Gristmill). My quilting table is the same design as the one shown by Quilter in MN, but in oak with different handles. I have a clear plexiglass insert.

This design gives me room to put my basic supplies to the right of the machine, close at hand, and plenty of room to spread out my fabric to the left and behind the machine.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Talking about height for cutting. Have you tried your kitchen work surfaces , they are usually just right or breakfast bars. I have raised my kitchen table on those risers making it same height as a breakfast bar and use a stool to sit at.

Those cabinets look beautiful l plus. I have a horn. Make sure you have the bit at left for quilt to rest on. Mine is a pull out separate unit which fits in the cupboard anda set of draws on wheels which have been in many different configurations . This is just a thought, could the cabinet be raised to make a suitable height for cuTting on and in that picture is a raised area for the foot pedal so a raised area in there. You chair would have to be on a lift system.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 AM

I have the quiltmate with the lift, extension, shelving and extra height. I'm 5'1". I do all my cutting and sandwiching on it as well as quilting. It has been a wonderful investment for me. I love the furniture. The chair adjusts to the height that is needed. I also have the small cabnet at the end of the quiltmate to add a larger working surface. I leave the extensions up. That was the purpose in getting them so I could have a working surface (and storage) ready for me all the time. Good luck on your decision. I think you will be happy with it regardless of what you decide. It has worked splendidly for me.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:34 PM

Default Koala Cabinet

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
My Koala cabinet is 13 years old, is used daily, and still looks like new, I love the back extension and use it; but not for cutting. I have a Koala cutting table that I love. It is the perfect height for me. I really like the electric lift on the sewing cabinet. Mine has a side area for my serger which is very handy. It has drawers and storage areas which I use. I have a cabinet to the right of my sewing table. I keep sewing supplies that I use frequently on the top of that cabinet. On one door of my sewing cabinet, I have a cloth holder with pockets for 36 pairs of scissors. When I consider how much use I have gotten from my Koala products, I feel they were well worth the cost.
I need an idea of how to lower the height of my cabinet. I have the taller Koala cabinet, but had surgery and now it is hard to set up and down from the tall chair. Does anyone know how I can lower it. The company said that they could not.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:40 AM

I have a Martelli table that is adjustable height. LOVE IT. Cutting, ironing. Some even put machine on it and stand.

I just got some new furniture from Unique Sewing Furniture. I love it all. Cabinet for my sewing/embroidery machine. Drawer units. I did add the notions dividers and the thread inserts. I like have the organization. And its pretty.
My machine cabinet unit has flip up back to make larger flat surface.

I dont know where Unique stacks up against Koala or ? (The other brands I cant think of!) but it was on sale at my LQS. It’s well made. Was made for my particular machine. Made in Utah. Very pretty. Makes a night and day difference in my Studio!!!

The only thing it does not have is a machine lift in the cabinet like i used to have. But it is working out just great with out it?

All in all i love it!!!😒

https://www.uniquesewingfurniture.com/