Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Kona Cotton at Hobby Lobby? Same Quality?

Kona Cotton at Hobby Lobby? Same Quality?

Hi - I have used Kona or Free Spirit solids for a few years, previously Bella (Moda). When I first learned to quilt, I was told it is best not to buy fabric at Joann's or Hobby Lobby as they get a lot of "grey" fabric, and even though the name is the same, it is not the same quality of fabric. My friend told me that Hobby Lobby had Kona cotton. I said I would ask you knowledgeable people if it is the same quality. I'm wondering if it is Kona's "grey" fabric. What do you think?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    it is genuine Kona.
    Robert Kaufman, manufacturer of Kona, does not sell seconds.
    they ship the same top quality to all vendors.

i think there is a "fake" Kona on the market.
    if the bolt does not say Robert Kaufman then it isn't the real deal.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Kaufman says it's the same. I've read it online and they have also told me that in an email and on the phone. However, I have bought black Kona labeled fabric at Hobby Lobby that Kaufman said was not Kona. JoAnn's had the same black fabric at the same time.

I was participating in a block lotto at the time and it called for black Kona. So, I went to JoAnn's, as it's fairly close. The fabric didn't feel right, so went to Hobby Lobby. It was the same as JoAnn's, so I bought it anyway. I complained to the group that we should choose another brand of black fabric, as this stuff was lousy. Someone in the group sent me some black Kona and it wasn't the same. That's when I contacted Kaufman and sent the sample.

That said, I don't think you can blame Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. They buy from a distributor. They buy what that distributor says is Kona. The fabric was labeled Kona, just like all the other colors on their shelves.

I have bought Kona from those places since then, but I was more careful to check the fabric.

bkay
    Last edited by bkay; 03-16-2019 at 03:56 AM.

I purchase Kona from Hobby Lobby several times a year. It's the genuine thing. I believe the Kona fron JoAnns is actually called Kona Bay and is a thinner material.

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    I purchase Kona from Hobby Lobby several times a year. It's the genuine thing. I believe the Kona fron JoAnns is actually called Kona Bay and is a thinner material.
    Kona Bay went out out of business a couple of years ago. Their fabric was prints, not solids. The Kaufman representative I spoke with last year said that they sell to both JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby.

bkay

i purchase my kona cotton from hobby lobby couple a times a year. i like.

Good info. in this thread, thanks for sharing. In January, under the Links and Resources forum Charlottequilts posted that Colorful World of Sewing website was having a sale on their Kona fabrics, I bought some and was very happy with it, will keep Hobby Lobby in mind when I need more. Again, thanks for sharing.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Fun with words, "raw" fabric before it is dyed is called "greige goods" which is pronounced as grey.

I haven't bought any kind of Kona.

I have bought fabric at Hobby Lobby and Walmart. If it feels right to me I buy it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have bought Kona in Bone color at Hobby Lobby, and it is just fine. I did buy some black, that was supposed to be Kona, at Hancock's before they closed up. I think it was spelled or printed a little different on the bolt. It was not as good in quality as regular Kona. Maybe it was spelled Cona, or something.

I have bought Kona at JoAnns. I always make sure to check bolt.

bkay....thanks for letting me know this. For some reason Kona Bay popped into my head as I was typing a response. I still feel a difference between the two stores in this material....will continue to purchase from Hobby Lobby.

Blog Entries
    just remember to check the bolt end to make sure it's the Robert Kaufman brand.
    no brand name means skip it.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]