Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona Cotton questions >

Kona Cotton questions

Kona Cotton questions

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Oh how I wish I had a JoAnn's near me. I hear about the prices and the coupons and wish I lived close to one.
You can order from Joann's on line they also have % off coupons .
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM

I contacted Kaufman a couple years ago to ask if they sold Kona through JoAnns and was it the same greige goods and they replied 'no' - they do not sell Kona through JoAnns. They use one high quality of greige good for their fabrics. Just FYI.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 AM

Kona Fabrics and Robert Kaufman Fabrics

As Retrogirl previously pointed out, our quilting board had a personal response from Robert Kaufman Co which is a very informative article from the "horses mouth". If any of you are in doubt of the quality of what you have purchased with a Kona label on the bolt, no matter where you bought it, RK wants you to send a 3" sample to them and they will test it and provide you with a detailed report. They provided the address in the article. If you notice in the article, he mentioned that the greige goods are simply the fabric in the raw state, and that variations in the look and weave are due to different types of weaving machines that are used in weaving and this in no way suggests a lesser quality, but only a difference in weaving style. I, for one, would be willing to send a 3" square of any fabric I bought that says "Kona Solids" in for testing that I bought at Joann's, and let them know where and when it was purchases. I would be interested to see what they say about it. Curious, if Kona isn't sold to Joann's, where are they getting their "Kona" solids? It is worth reading this article. It was posted in January 2010
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM

Kona is a registered trademark of Robert Kaufman. If the bolt has Kona on the lable it supposed to be a RK product. I would think the legal people at RK would be all over anyone infringing on there tradename.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM

You don't know what to do these days.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The "Kona Cotton" that JoAnn's sells is very poor quality. Hobby Lobby's got the real thing and its much better quality.
You cannot make broad sweeping statements like this. Many JoAnn's sell actual Kaufman Kona solids...many do not...but Kaufman does not make/sell different grades of their merchandise to different retailers. It just doesn't happen. As i said before, reading the bolt is the only way to tell for sure that you're getting the real thing.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

I buy my Kona solids from http://www.fabric.com. They hve the best price I've found - $4.66/yard. No coupons; that's their regular price. Shipping is free on orders $35 and over. They have good, fast service too.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM

I work for Hobby Lobby. They have Kona Cottons for $6.99 and Robert Kaufman Kona Cottons for $7.99 less 30% off. You can request the clerk write it up for Regular price and use a 40% off coupon for 1 cut. They also carry another brand of cotton solids that are $4.99-$6.99 less 30% off. All Hobby Lobby stores have the same sales.

I do know that they are different grades of Kona Cottons and those cost more. I would think most LQS would buy a higher grade fabric than Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's would but it also costs more.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

i always bought my Kona from hobby lobby it is a great Kona to use but last week while i was at Joanns i thought i would look at there "kona" and it looked and felt very thin and cheap,and i noticed it didnt say kona on the bolt ,most of the tags just said muslin, so i was thinking it was not the real thing
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM

that's a serious charge against jo-ann's. you're accusing the company of fraud. as big as they are i sincerely doubt they would use a trademarked name if they were not selling that exact product. the lack of kaufmans name doesn't mean it's counterfeit . i 'm sure we would have heard of the lawsuit against j-a's and a change of name to the kaufman company, as they would own jo-ann's at the end of the lawsuit.