Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: kona fabric

For years I only used Kona. The last 2 quilts I used it for I was very dissapointed. I felt that it was thin and kept unraveling. Kona is easy to get where I live. I decided to try some of the Moda Bella. I am much happier with the
    product. It is more tightly woven and easier to work with. The problem is I have to purchase it online. I will use the
    Moda Bella whenever I can from now on.

Kona and Bella are both good. I have used Kona a lot and am always happy with it.

I love Kona fabrics! They are my " go to" fabric when I need a solid. As burch quilts says, they are a bit thick/stiff but that is fine with me.

Blog Entries
    You have to be careful that it's Kona manufactured by Kaufman. Joann's carries a "Kona" and it's not the same quality. I'm happy with both Kona and Moda Bella, I get whichever line has the color I need.

Fabric Depot is offering 30% off on online purchases theu Monday 21st!

http://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php...rchstring=kona
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

Kona cotton is great in a quilt and if you do any embroidery for quilts it is supper, you don't have to back with any other fabric (muslin). This fabric wears great and is perfect for a quilt.

you may also try the trick someone talked about in another post of washing fabric in hot water and drying to see if it shrinks up and the weave tightens up.

I buy my Kona from our local Hobby lobby, and have never had a problem with it, Kaufman Kona i believe is the best

Blog Entries
    I recently purchased both Kona black and white from Hart Fabrics in California for $6.99. I received it quickly and the quality is great. The closest I can find it is 45 miles from me. Even with shipping it was cheaper than driving to buy it.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I like the feel of the moda.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have used Kona white for dining room napkins because it has a slightly looser weave making my napkins look linen like.

I'm not an expert but I do believe the fabrics in JoAnn's are made for JoAnn's and sometimes not the "grade" of fabric you find in a LQS. I have used Kona from JoAnn's but am very leary of it being the same thing as the LQS's carry.

Blog Entries
    I also love kona fabrics . They have some very nice colors light and dark. I use kona for some of my backing also.

Kona is a more coarse weave that will fray when piecing or handling. I've used it quite a lot, but not any more. I sent for a cream Bella sample and love it. Before washing it has a high gloss and wonderful hand and tight weave. After washing it retains the sheen and the feel is almost silk-like. I intend it to be my next go-to solid.

Oh, used to own a quilt shop and worked in one also. I washed samples of the entire Kona color line. Some colors shrunk is width (2 inches) as well as length. There was no rhyme or reason because the washing was the same for all samples.
    So beware and buy at least a yard more if you need over 3 yards (that's about 3.5 meter for you). Better to be safe than sorry, as the dye lots do not match from bolt to bolt.
    SandyQuilter

Blog Entries
    I love the Kona (kaufman) white snow, I do not buy Kona at Joann's - it is not the Kaufman Kona. I just bought a bunch of Kona from Hancock of Paducah. I have a free shipping on over $30 code if anyone is interested. And they are having a great sale.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

For a response to these questions of varying quality check out the following thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t33854-4.html
    See Robert Kaufman's post - it's the second one on the page.

I love Moda marbles and never been disappointed. Buy a charm pack to avoid costly decisions. Thats what i do. You can feel and see before buying yardage. Kona comes in charm packs as well. It's $10...you'll spend that on a fast food meal why not fabric that will produce something??? Bella also comes in a charm pack. Happy Quilting!!
    *Rachel*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2