Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona fabric >

Kona fabric

Kona fabric

Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have personally witnessed JoAnne employees take a black non Kona broadcloth bolt end of approximately 5 yards of fabric and put it on the black Kaufman Kona bolt. That was the last time I bought quilting fabric from JoAnnes. They were not doing it to be deceitful or rip off the customers they just don't know the difference. The problem is most of JoAnne employees are not sewers, let alone quilters. To them one black solid is no different from another. This would explain why the OP and many others who have posted the same here felt the fabric is different weight/quality from Kaufman Kona.

Anytime I have order Kaufman Kona solids on line from Fabric Depot or Hancocks of Paducah, I have always gotten the Kaufman Kona that I expect. Same goes for Moda Bella solids from Thousands of Bolts.

I have not tried Hobby Lobby because it is less expensive for me to order from Hancocks of Paducah on line even with shipping. And it is much more convenient for me to shop the net.
I know what you are saying. I have asked Joann's employees questions and they do not know anything.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 AM

I just bought some from Hobby Lobby and it is beautiful.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM

I wish kona cotton had something on the selvage to identify it. Like other lines of fabric do.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I wish kona cotton had something on the selvage to identify it. Like other lines of fabric do.
Printed selvages are only possible on printed fabrics. It can't be done with dyed fabrics and woven pattern fabrics...solids, hand dyes, batiks, plaids, tweeds, etc. It's easy to make a note of the info from the bolt end and keep it with a swatch of the fabric for reference and repurchase...or to get a Kona color card.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Like a pp mentioned though, you don't know for sure if what is on the bolt is the same as the bolt label. I have a color card but I don't carry it around. It's huge. And even if a color matches, that doesn't mean it's the same brand.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 AM

Isn't this pretty! Wow - so many colors to choose from! http://www.fabricshack.com/cgi-bin/S...man_konacotton

I love Kona for a background fabric.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 AM

I went to buy a 'Kona' solid at JoAnns on Monday. I needed 3 yards of a difficult to match color. When I got it to the cutting table, there was only about 1.5 yds. wrapped around a much lighter color.....makes you wonder what the fabric really was. Needless to say, I didn't buy any and left pretty disappointed!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM

I've bought most of my Kona solids from HL and never been disappointed ... however, I've seen Kona bolts at Joann's that were definitely NOT Kona ... they had put broadcloth or basic solids back on the Kona bolt. Kona has a heavier hand, you can tell.
Our Joann's also has young girls and few sewers working there (!??) so I just don't trust them to know the difference ...

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-04-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Its good stuff. And most prints are beautiful!
The Kona cotton I've seen has all been solid colors. Are you thinking about Kona Bay fabrics which is an entirely different line.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

There is a pronounced difference in the Kona solids as compared to others. Absolutely worth the price difference, but it does get tricky when sales people don't appreciate the difference and try to group colors together. Have to really be careful and JoAnn's is especially bad about this.