Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona selvedge >

Kona selvedge

Kona selvedge

Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Kona selvedge

Hi -

I am trying to identify a solid from KQ. It's beautiful stuff, a bit softer than my Kona snow or white. I was thinking it was Kona, but the selvedge is different. It's got narrow ribbing, like a grosgrain ribbon. My kona snow, as I remember, had sort of a fluffy edge.

If someone has some newer Kona and wouldn't mind looking at the selvedge, I'd be curious to know if it has the ribbing. The selvedge may have changed since I bought the Kona years ago. Or maybe I have something else entirely.

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Kona Cottons usually have the fuzzy edge, but not always. Sometimes they have a flat edge with 'tooth holes', but not what I would call ribbed.

Be aware that KQ carries several different brands of solids...Kona Solids, RJR Supreme Solids, Moda Bella Solids and Marcus Brothers Centennial Solids are the main ones. Their stock numbers give no hint at all as to who the manufacturer is, the customer service folks aren't ever given manufacturer information, and worse yet they put stickers over almost all the info on the bolt end in the store. I'd try the Marcus Brothers first.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM

I bought some Kona yardage 2 days ago at Hobby Lobby, and it has the fluffy edge.
Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Hi -

I am trying to identify a solid from KQ. It's beautiful stuff, a bit softer than my Kona snow or white. I was thinking it was Kona, but the selvedge is different. It's got narrow ribbing, like a grosgrain ribbon. My kona snow, as I remember, had sort of a fluffy edge.

If someone has some newer Kona and wouldn't mind looking at the selvedge, I'd be curious to know if it has the ribbing. The selvedge may have changed since I bought the Kona years ago. Or maybe I have something else entirely.

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 AM

Ha! Thanks. That eliminates Kona. Thanks for listing some other possibilities, too. I haven't bought many solids, and I quite like this particular one.

I really hate the stickers over the key info on the bolt, too. Particularly with blank selvedges.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 AM

Did you order it online? They may have your order history and can identify the fabric from the history or possibly the receipt. I would give them a call.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:09 AM

I suspect you have a Northcott solid.