Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kwilting Kwandry...or maybe a Kwossroads? >

Kwilting Kwandry...or maybe a Kwossroads?

Kwilting Kwandry...or maybe a Kwossroads?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:25 PM

I have to put something fun in the title since I'm fit to be tied!!

Ok...I'm doing this mystery quilt. Someday if I can get the blasted top stitched I'll have pics to put in the pics section since there's now a reminder about that at the top of my screen.

Anywhooooooo.....here is my problem.

There are 179 total pieces, some pieced some not, that make this quilt top. I have measured, double measured and triple measured all of my pieces. All of the pieces except 20 square in a square blocks are exactly the size they should me. (I was doing the happy dance by then since I'm working on cutting accuracy). Made me feel good. The 20 square in a square blocks were the last thing measured and they are a full 1/2 in off. All of them, exactly. They should all be 5 1/2" square, but the SIAQs are 5 1/4" with rough edges. Once I cut off the dog ears and square them, they will be more like almost 5 1/4" but the points of the inside square will be cut off with the 1/4" piecing allowance.

I have more fabric, I tend to buy more for those "just in case" moments. So, do you think it would be easier to make 20 more SIAS blocks and try to make them end up 5 1/2", or try to fudge with the almost 5 1/4" and just cut off the points of the square. I personally think that I like those blocks because of the square in the middle.

I'm very much a beginner and this project has intimidated me since Clue 2. I'm now on the last clue and the end is in site. I just don't know what to do.

If you were in my shoes, beginner and all, would you make those 20 squares over again? or deal with the aggravation of fudging them all?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Weeelll, if each block is 1/2 inch off, compound that by the # of blocks in each row and see how you feel about having those blocks throw off the entire quilt-- I know it sounds tedious, and we ALL hate our seam ripper, but if I had put hard work and effort into the rest of the quilt, the perfectionist in me would be ripping them apart and re-sewing them all.

Now, if you have enough fabric to remake them, and could put those poor orphans to good use, the choice is up to you....
Clear as mud, right?? :wink:
Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

If I had enough fabric, I would do them over - if would be faster than unsewing all that.

If I did not have enough fabric, I would do what I could to make them work.

There are times when some stuff just has to go into the "well, that was a learning experience" box.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I tend to buy extra,too. It's almost a given that I will goof up on cutting something. Or want to do the design differently that as illustrated.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM

Before I do them over I would identify what the problem was in the first place so you don't end up doing it wrong again.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:02 AM
Administrator

set them aside. later, you can turn them into a small companion quilt, pillows and doll quilts, etc, etc.

when you start on the new blocks, make the first few one at a time instead of using any of the assembly line methods. measure at each stage. tht will help you figure out what you did that caused the 1/4" difference. then you can keep that in mind as you assembly-line the rest of the SIAQs.

i have made more than one unexpected top because the block sets for the planned project didn't end up the right/same sizes. and i'll bet we aren't the only ones who've done it. :lol:
Old 10-28-2008, 03:15 AM

yep.. if you have more fabric, I would remake them too. You will be tearing more hair out if you kept them and tried to ease them into the rest of your quilt!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 AM

Or you could sash the middle... might be cute. Then you'd always have a reminder to be more accurate.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:11 AM

If it was me I would do over if I had extra.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Banned

Can you post the clues here? there may be something incorrect in the instructions that caused the blocks to turn out off-sized.