Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
label , name your quilt? >

label , name your quilt?

label , name your quilt?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM

I never label my quilts. I try to keep a picture for my own collection, but that's it. However, if I sold my quilts, I probably would label it, in hopes of getting additional business.

I doubt I would ever sell one, because If I give it away, no one can complain about it, it was a gift. They can use it or not.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Banned

I put my name, dates and where it was made on one label.
The quilt name or whom it was made for on the other.
I used to embroider both but now design them and print on Jenkins new (fabulous, thin and soft like Liberty's Lawn) printer fabric.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM

I think if there were labels on some of the old quilts I have seen, it would be a real treasure. Just think of being able to trace that quilt to the family or city,state it came down thru history with. Are they all heirlooms? No but what a great find!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM

I put my name, the date, and sometimes the town/state I live in. If it is for a special occasion, I put that on it too (eg. "For Grandma, Christmas 2009"). That is not so much for posterity as it is to make the gift feel more personal to the recipient. Most of the time the label is only about 2 inches by 3 inches, but some have been much larger (a group quilt given to a lady at church had to have ALL our names on it), and once I used a spare block and wrote the info in the background spaces.

For charity quilts, I put a label with the date and a "This Quilt Belongs To" spot for the child's name.

You can never tell what will make it through the years and be passed on, and I wish there were labels on a couple of the quilts I recieved passed down from family. As it is, all anyone has is a vague idea of who COULD have made them.