Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling a quilt? >

Labeling a quilt?

Labeling a quilt?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
You should always put a label on your quilts. That is what I was told when I started to quilt. I put the name of the quilt the date usually the year it was quilted and if it is for a person I put quilted for so and so by my name. I then hand sew it on the back after it has been quilted. I have a embroidery machine and do it on that but some use the computer to print a label and some just use a pen and write it out or hand embroider it.
I am so sick of my first quilt that I have decided not to label it so nobody remembers me for that! I will make another one for my DGD when she gets a big girl bed. I was given flannel (before I had any stash) and made do with what I was given. I wasn't sure if she was going to be a boy or girl so it's pretty generic. Now, I want girly for her...LOL I found flannel kind of hard to work with also. Maybe just because it was my first time ever doing anything like a quilt before. Now I am hooked and know a lot of stuff I should have known making the stupid thing...LOL Thank you Quilting Board!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 PM

I have yet to label mine but will start doing it. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM

I hand write a label for the back. I have come across some labels and sometimes i've made my own out of fabric. I do try to put as much details as possible - dates, relationships about the quilt. After I'm dead and gone, I want the quilt to be able to tell it's story.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
ns

I first sign the quilt itself with a pigma pen. My name, quilted by, my town, and date, just in case the label comes off. Then I make a label. I put who the quilt is for and the occasion. then I put my name, person who quilted it, my town and date. I hand sew the label on.