Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling your quilts >

Labeling your quilts

Labeling your quilts

Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Default Labeling your quilts

Do you label your quilts? If so - could you share what you use, what info you include, and how (and when in the process - before quilting or after?) you attach it, please!

I know that every instructor I've ever had a quilting class from has stressed labeling... and yet I never do it!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Quilt labels usually depend on the circumstances of each individual quilt. If it is a super special quilt, going to a special recipient, then yes, it gets a label. Every day use utility quilts do not get labels. If I do put on a label, I try to have them embroidered because I feel like the info will be legible much longer. I do include my name, date of completion and who the quilt has been given to, along with any other pertinent info. I handsew (the only time I ever pick up a needle to handsew) to a corner on the backside of the quilt, as the very last step.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Only one so far, but I know I should. My husband is all over me about this. He thinks my quilts are "ART" and all artists sign their work, especially if they give or sell it. I Have a new machine that can do a monogram, just haven't experimented with it yet. That is my plan I can at least put my name and the year...
Old 06-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I have a bad habit of not labeling my quilt because some charities don't want them. The ONLY time I did make a quilt label was when a quilt was going into competition.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Default Labeling quilts

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
Only one so far, but I know I should. My husband is all over me about this. He thinks my quilts are "ART" and all artists sign their work, especially if they give or sell it. I Have a new machine that can do a monogram, just haven't experimented with it yet. That is my plan I can at least put my name and the year...
I do label my quilts. I first write with pencil what I want to say, including to whom,date and my signature. Then I hand embroidery following my markings, using 2 stands of thread. Almost forgot, on the lower right corner of the back. Of course if its dark, I use white or light color thread.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:08 PM

I try to add label if it is a special quilt, particularly for my family. I first used the alphabet stitches on my machine. It is so involved, it took me longer for the label than it did to make the quilt. It was a new baby quilt for one of my DGDs. On the final version I misspelled my last name! And I just put it on anyway, it was only one letter short! Then I tried printing on fabric using a font on the computer and that worked well. Not too difficult. More recently I heard some discussion on handwriting with some type of permanent ink. Some people like having a person's handwriting and I do, too, such as my mom's recipes. So I've done a couple using a Pigma pen. Hopefully, it will last, not too sure about that yet. I usually try to incorporate part of a block or even some of the binding to go along the outer edge. I work them into a corner of the back as I hand sew the binding. For the babies I use their name, birthdate, and location. Older kids I leave out the birthdate. I include my name, location and date the quilt was made.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM

yes I do label mine, depending on who the quilt is for depends on the label. There is a lady here on the board makes great labels that I used for close family and friends. I ordered some small labels (1" x 2") preprinted with my name that I use for quilts that I donate or give to others that I don't want to go the extra mile on
Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM

I machine embroider my labels, and if I think of it, and if time permits I do it right on the back of the quilt.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Banned

After one of my grandsons quilts was stolen, not only do I put a label on my quilts, I machine embroider the recipients' name somewhere on the inside of the binding. That way even if the label is removed it can still be proven who the quilt belongs to.

Cari
Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I don't normally label my quilts. There were a few times it was necessary but not usually.