Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labor cost >

Labor cost

Labor cost

Old 11-21-2017, 05:19 AM

You likely know how long it takes you to make a quilt ...start to finish. Take this into account for this one. I would not "discount" it either. I don't care if the blocks are already made. You make have to square them up etc which is more work than if you had pieced each one. Ask me how I know! Batting, backing, quilting and binding it all should be included in your WRITTEN AGREEMENT. It is a business transaction IF you choose to make it one vs a gift for family.
( I don't do either....). Get 50% non-refundable deposit which will cover your out of pocket expenses. Over guesstimate the labor charge. You can always true it up once the project is completed. Everyone has to be in agreement on this project or you will be shamed into giving in on price etc. I sew for me....no one else. I learned THAT lesson years ago! Don't believe most of us? ..search this Board for the nightmares!

sandy
Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I'm really puzzled by people who don't know anything about making a quilt declaring that it's not really a quilt if pieced or quilted by a machine. I'm tempted to ask them how they cooked dinner. If they used a stove instead of an open fire then it's not really cooking?

Good point! Definition of "quilting ". Sewing 3 layers together...it does not matter if hand or machined....the result is the same. QUILTED...quilt.

sandy
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Before you even start - have a discussion with the family member so that there are fewer misunderstandings.

Many people think that what you need to do can be done in a couple of hours - and that's if you are dawdling.

Or that if they pay you $50 they have been overly generous.

Just saying - - - - - -
I think this can't be emphasized enough. You have to first educate the person as to what they are asking for, in terms of time, skill, expense and effort. They may then withdraw the request, if they were expecting to pay $20. Some people even think they're doing you the favor by asking you to sew for them.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Where did this person get the blocks, may I ask? Just curious how a non-sewer came upon a boon of a mountain of blocks!

I can't reiterate enough what others have said. SET A time for a cost discussion BEFORE you even begin. Not doing so could cause some true hard feelings. And with family? Mercy. That's one I'd not want to have.

You are kind to consider it. Maybe calculate the actual cost and time involved and ask HER what she thinks is fair. When she sees what the cost of material alone is, she might have a better idea of what is an agreeable amount. And then renegotiate if need be

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Since it's a family member, maybe $100 plus materials. At least you don't have to make the blocks! Quilt simply.

If they aren't willing to pay at least that much, just pass and let them know it's ok to find someone else who will do it for them. (They won't!)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM

You MUST talk with the person before you start. You will have a basic idea of how long it might take to assemble the top, to sandwich it, and then to do a minimum of quilting. First, tell them the estimated hours involved, then approximate what additional materials will cost. At this point they will have an idea of the very basic costs. Now you can discuss what your labor cost should be. Preface it with 'I don't think I could make it for less than $???, probably closer to $???. They will tell you if it is workable or not. Also, if you want to or can do, offer to help them to do it. But, PLEASE, do not start it without that discussion - especially if it is a family member!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Having just started in the 'piecing for other people' profession (a good friend and excellent long armer asked me to help with a project and has been happy enough with my efforts that she has asked me to piece a top for herself) I absolutely agree with everything written here. It is very difficult--but absolutely necessary --to put a price on what I consider the most fun part of making a quilt. And when you get down to the nitty gritty, if you charge this relative a nominal fee, be prepared to charge that same fee to the rest of your relatives too!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:44 PM

I agree with the others that you should sit down with the family member and explain what all is involved and give them a rough estimate of the time that you THINK it might take, as well as an estimate of the cost of the fabric and supplies that will have to be purchased. Perhaps you can have them make those purchases directly, so you are not fronting your own money? Think about why YOU are doing this---is it something you want to do for your own personal pleasure or is it something you are doing primarily because the family member asked you to do it? Also, did you agree because (1) you want to 'help out' the family member, or (2) is your primary motivation an opportunity to make a little money on it? Both are fine, but if it is #1, the price you would charge would likely be a lot less than if your goal is #2.
But all that being said, I think an upfront agreement on the range of cost is REQUIRED to avoid an ugly family situation that could occur with a surprise.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Talking

OMG, the nightmare sewing stories... I am asked fairly often at work to sew things for people. The problem is that they don't understand the difference between a simple hemming job on our polyester work pants, versus hemming a spandex knit dress that requires a double needle and a lot of swearing to hem. Because the majority of my "customers" are fellow servers at the restaurant where I work (and therefore understand the concept of tipping generously) (and also being heartily reviled for not doing so,) when asked how much I charge, I tell them to pay me what its worth to them. And, with a couple of exceptions, this has paid more than I would ask! However, there are also the folks who think that I have so little to do that I will sew for free. And the free list has about 10 or 15 things on it, some of which have been there for years. So, you get what you pay for here, definitely.

That having been said, I am very leery of doing anything for any price for some people. The judgey ones. And that includes just about everyone in my gene pool. Like they say, your mileage may vary, and your family may be a lot nicer than mine. Lol, they kind of have to be....

And then there is the concept of Lessons in the School of Hard Knocks. The costs vary, and one usually doesn't know that they are paying tuition until the event is viewed in hindsight. Many of the answers on here seem to me to be from people who are doing a kind of course review on one of those Lessons, and are hoping to avoid the same for you. So, good luck, and worst case scenario, you can have your own course review to share in the future.

Last edited by themadpatter; 11-21-2017 at 08:06 PM.