Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster (PA) Quilt Show - Who's Coming? >

Lancaster (PA) Quilt Show - Who's Coming?

Lancaster (PA) Quilt Show - Who's Coming?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
Tim,

Nice suggestion!! BUT we ALL have to wear the skull cap, etc so that we ALL can recognize each other - not just me. I'll get mine ready now. Okay? Can I expect to see you there?

Mindy, are you getting ready to wear same?

Actually, I am hoping to be a "little" (or not so little) mouse and listen to what others say about my quilt and if pictures are being taken. Should be fun.

Suz
Yes of course we would all have to wear them. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I did grow up just south of there, in central Maryland. Lancaster is a beautiful place. I hope you all have a great time. Sorry about the teasing.

tim in san jose
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM

I was wondering if you can tell me what to expect at the Lancaster show...I am a first-timer for a a quilt show. My wonderful husband (who is very creative and artistic) is coming with me. Thanks for any help you can give me. We just do not know what to expect.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shirlane
I was wondering if you can tell me what to expect at the Lancaster show...I am a first-timer for a a quilt show. My wonderful husband (who is very creative and artistic) is coming with me. Thanks for any help you can give me. We just do not know what to expect.
IT is big and almost overwhelming. Take water bottle, notebook, camera and comfortable shoes and maybe your own packed lunch. and some $$$. There are lots of good thing to buy there. Also, plan to hit the best quilt fabric shops around the county, which usually have some showtime specials. Traffic can be a bit slow, especially toward the outlet malls, so avoid that if you can. If you have time, go into town to the farm market and try some of the local specialties. (my birthplace, but moved away, alas.)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Suz

The show is in the main resort building (also where they hold classes) as well as in the indoor tennis court building. There is lots and lots of retail and demonstrations. And across the highway (yes, a major one, so plan to take the tram across since it is safer and you will be tired), there is a lot more retail. The whole event is tiring, but well worth the time invested. You will not go home empty handed. One time I came home with less than a dollar. Saved only enough to eat on the trip back. You will see some of your favorite designers who are either retail, teachers or demonstrators, ie., John Flynn with his machine quilting frame. Once we actually had the opportunity to talk with Fons and Porter while having lunch. Also, ran into Karen Kay Buckley. She was just shopping.

One more thing, do not bring your tow-along or tag-along to carry your purchases. They are a real nuisance to other folks in attendance, as are baby strollers. AND it is not a place for children. Several years ago, one child in a backpack, reached over to one the display frames that held the BIG winners causing a chain reaction and one-by-one, the entire display of 30 or so quilts, frames, hit the floor. At the end of the day, we returned to see the BIG winners and were disappoined to find them still on the floor. Bummer!!

You will have a great time. Suzanne
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Thanks. I am looking forward to the trip. I doubt I will get to everything...I have only one day and we are traveling a good distance to get there. I will look for my favorite shops.