Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster, PA >

Lancaster, PA

Lancaster, PA

Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 AM

Wow love your fabrics...how could you see what to buy in that Obies it looked so cluttered lol.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 AM

I love lancaster. Everyone has to go to Obies just once. It scathed me out too.. In fact one of the piles started to fall on me and i had to be resqued..
Old 05-15-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135
I am so glad you had a terrific trip. My hometown of York, PA is just west of Lancaster and I get up a least 2 times a year - funny that there are quilt shows at exactly that same time . .hmm... Anyway I always go to The Quilt and Fabric Shack - as in ALWAYS!!

.... I'm going up the end of July for a family visit and - Quilt Odyssey wich I've been to every single year, including the horribly hot ones over in Gettysburg. And I always travel with my copy of "The Quilter's Travel Companion" as I make stops all the way from NC to PA - terrific book.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Maybe I'll see you at Odyssey. I also go every year. It's my favorite quilt show!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Is there a website that lists all the quilt shows?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by echobluff
YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
Have you planned your next trip yet??? LOL
Have a great weekend!
Sue
Shoo-fly Pie, I don't think there is anywhere in the world accept Lancaster Country that has it. I tried to make it once and it was terrible. My family "Pedigree" go back to the 1700's in Lancaster County. Wish I was there!!!!!!
Lancaster Co is my favorite place on Earth!! I just love everything about it...the simplicity and peacefulness and of course all that FABRIC!!
Aunt Sue, my sister lives in upstate NY. Mom lives in PA. I live in the dust bowl, armpit of NM. Wish I was anywhere East of Ohio.
I'm in Perth, NY about 30 miles west of Albany...where is your sister? So sorry to hear you do not like the area you live....
My sister lives in Clay, outside of Syracuse. I was last there summer of 2009. Time to go again.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135
I am so glad you had a terrific trip. My hometown of York, PA is just west of Lancaster and I get up a least 2 times a year - funny that there are quilt shows at exactly that same time . .hmm... Anyway I always go to The Quilt and Fabric Shack - as in ALWAYS!!

.... I'm going up the end of July for a family visit and - Quilt Odyssey wich I've been to every single year, including the horribly hot ones over in Gettysburg. And I always travel with my copy of "The Quilter's Travel Companion" as I make stops all the way from NC to PA - terrific book.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Maybe I'll see you at Odyssey. I also go every year. It's my favorite quilt show!
The world gets smaller and smaller, I grew up in Bucks County as well. Lived in a lot of the towns around Philadelphia. My first home about 38 yrs. ago was in Chalfont. But I also lived in Conchohocken, Radnor, Bryn Mawr, Yardley, Morrisville and Philadelphia. PA. is such a pretty state.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo
Originally Posted by zoey
YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
Have you planned your next trip yet??? LOL
Have a great weekend!
Sue
Making me homesick too as I am from Lancaster. No one here eats scrapple or talks about it without making a face or red beet eggs either for that matter.
Thanks for the name 'scrapple'. I wanted to order gingerbread but ordered scrapple by mistake. What a shock when I took a bite!
ROFLMBO ......that certainly would have been a shock. Did you at least put maple syrup on it to make it sweet. Funny!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
Did you sign up for Burkholder's newsletter? He always has some type of sale going on......believe now it is fat quarter bundles for 50% off..........he has the nicest fabrics at really good prices.
I did sign up. That was the sale going when I was there. I believe they also are having a % off right now too. I want to say it was 25%.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Evelyn
Obies! Sure brings back memories. Years ago DH always enjoyed chating with Dear Old Obie as hymns played in the background and they sat chewing away on his famous 99¢ ham sandwiches! I enjoyed squeezing thru and climbing over piles of bolts, batting, pillows, etc upstairs
(each riser of the stair had a Bible verse painted on it)
I also enjoyed all the handmade Raggedy Anns and Andys.

I sure wish I could get out there again but DH is in a care facilty with Alzheimers.
Sorry to hear about your hubby. Obie has passed away & a family member has kept it going but their wasn't any music or Raggedy Anns or Bible verses that I noticed & I am sure I would have & would have liked it very much.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Originally Posted by Quilter54
Originally Posted by Bluphrog
They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)Sue
Sue, I smiled when I read this, because I have the same problem. No body in Texas knows what Maypo is and I have fond memories of eating it and watching the commercials.
CoCo Wheats where I am in Florida.
I know shoo-fly pie AND I know Maypo!

I am originally from Ohio. About 1 1/2 hrs. from Amish country. Still go there on my yearly visit .
Used to live near Amish country in Ohio - back in Montana now for 27+ years - hubby liked the west, though he was raised in Ohio. I was raised in Montana.
I wasn't a quilter when in Ohio - would now love to visit those shops mentioned in this thread - even Obie's just to see it!