Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lap quilting with hoop >

lap quilting with hoop

lap quilting with hoop

Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 AM

does anyone quilt with a hoop in their lap? If so, do you still have to use your hand under the fabric while using the needle like you do with the floor frames?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I do and I have the other hand under it. Make sure the fabric isn't too taut in the hoop. Makes it easier to stitch.
I just bought these awesome "thimbles" called Thimble It.
They are ovals that you use on the quilting finger and I think you could also use one for the underneath finger.
I got them on ebay b/c I couldn't find them at Joann's.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 AM

so all I do is rest the hoop frame on the unquilted part of the quilt so my hand is free under the hoop and the needle in the other hand?
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Yes, I do and I have the other hand under it. Make sure the fabric isn't too taut in the hoop. Makes it easier to stitch.
I just bought these awesome "thimbles" called Thimble It.
They are ovals that you use on the quilting finger and I think you could also use one for the underneath finger.
I got them on ebay b/c I couldn't find them at Joann's.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by honeybee_2000
so all I do is rest the hoop frame on the unquilted part of the quilt so my hand is free under the hoop and the needle in the other hand
Yes this is what I do. I am not holding the hoop at all and I have a plain hoop, not the kind that has a lap stand. I am right handed so my left hand is underneath and I feel for the needle with my index finger my right hand is manipulating the needle. I kind of bunch things up to get the hoop at the angle I like. I am constantly manipulating it too because I can only hand quilt towards me or away from me. As much as I have tried I can't go side to side.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM

I handquilt away from myself because I have trouble with my hands and cant curve my right hand. Ive been looking for those thimble things you were talking about.
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
so all I do is rest the hoop frame on the unquilted part of the quilt so my hand is free under the hoop and the needle in the other hand
Yes this is what I do. I am not holding the hoop at all and I have a plain hoop, not the kind that has a lap stand. I am right handed so my left hand is underneath and I feel for the needle with my index finger my right hand is manipulating the needle. I kind of bunch things up to get the hoop at the angle I like. I am constantly manipulating it too because I can only hand quilt towards me or away from me. As much as I have tried I can't go side to side.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM

I quilt with my left hand under the quilt. My father-in-law made me a lap hoop so it's really comfortable. I always quilt toward myself but would like to learn to quilt away from myself so I will know how when I get room to set up my big floor frame.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

You can get them on ebay. They are called Thimble It and are inexpensive. You get 60 of them.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

[quote=honeybee_2000]I handquilt away from myself because I have trouble with my hands and cant curve my right hand. Ive been looking for those thimble things you were talking about.[quote=feline fanatic]
The thimbles I use are TJ Lane Thimbles. Ridiculously expensive because essentially they are like a piece of jewelery (sterling silver). They are beautiful and can be worn like jewelery if you put them on a chain around your neck and they are priced as much as a piece of fine silver jewelery. I use them because they are the best functioning thimble I have ever found and the only thimble I have actually been able to use. Here is a link to the kind I have. I bought mine several years ago and the price has gone up but it is still crazy expensive and most people are not willing to pay that much for a thimble. I know I wasn't but I found them at a show and when I tried it and was actually able to use it... Well I figured all the thimbles and gadgets I have purchased over the years that DIDN'T work probably added up to this.

http://www.thimbles2fit.com/cgi-bin/...es=0&lastmenu=
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I love those thimbles but have never been able to use them!!
You really have to try out a lot of different ones to see which one works for you.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:34 AM

Yikes! $80!!! I guess I could save up for one. I would feel awful if I lost it. As you say, they are beautiful!