Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LAPTOP BAG >

LAPTOP BAG

LAPTOP BAG

Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM

I've done a search on the site & found many wonderful tutes & links...BUT... my question is this... IF you should happen to drop your laptop would the beautiful quilted bag with batting or foam be enough to protect the laptop? In Canada most of the purchased bags/briefcases are approx. $100... that's alot of money...BUT..... actually making one that looks beautiful with padding.... WILL it be enough protection.... SAY you have your arms full .... and it slips out onto the concrete at your feet? They're not cheap to make either...and if they can't protect the laptop.... do you think it would be advisable to purchase a specialized bag???
Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Now that you put it that way..Buy one. =)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM

First of all, I am excited that you live in British Columbia because I have two sons there and I have been there several times. They live in Sidney. I just love it there. The flowers are soooo beautiful and everything is so pretty.

Getting on to your question, I would think if the laptop dropped like you said, there would not be a lot of protection from a home made case. That is why they have the hard covered cases for them. And all the work and cost you would put in, to me, I would just purchase one.

Blessings to you.

sandy14
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM

I would research the padding used.

Here is something that might help you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6594966_make...core-foam.html

I have an older laptop bag that I'm thinking of recovering in a pretty cover. Might be an option.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
I've done a search on the site & found many wonderful tutes & links...BUT... my question is this... IF you should happen to drop your laptop would the beautiful quilted bag with batting or foam be enough to protect the laptop? In Canada most of the purchased bags/briefcases are approx. $100... that's alot of money...BUT..... actually making one that looks beautiful with padding.... WILL it be enough protection.... SAY you have your arms full .... and it slips out onto the concrete at your feet? They're not cheap to make either...and if they can't protect the laptop.... do you think it would be advisable to purchase a specialized bag???
I'm not sure even a commercial computer bag will protect you laptop if it falls on concrete. I think most laptop cases are for padding and protecting the plastic case not the insides.
I've made a few computer cases and I've always put double batting (usually fusible fleece) in them. I made one that the woman wanted an shoulder strap on. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of carrying it like that, but she takes full responsibility for it. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Ditto .... even the commercial ones are not meant for protecting from a harsh drop as you mentioned. The padding in either cases gives some protection from the minimal jolts and knocks. Certainly not fail-safe!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

I would look at a resale shop and see if you can find a used pc case, and then upholster it with quilt fabric.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM

I went to a local office supply store, you know the big box variety and they had some some lap top cases on the clearance rack, great price, and it makes it so easy to carry all of my stuff to meetings
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
If your laptop has a hard drive, keep in mind that the hard drive platter is made of glass.

When deciding on how to transport your laptop, ask yourself if you put a wine glass into this case, would it survive that sort of drop?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Why not make a good one with a strip. I used craft interfacing and thick batting for the ones I made.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231812.jpe   attachment-231813.jpe