Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large scale print fabric >

Large scale print fabric

Large scale print fabric

Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM

I have made several original BQ quilts and they are great for the big prints! Just be careful if it is a one way design.... and you want them all facing the same way. Once you figure that out (and write it on the pattern) it is simple to have everything upright! OR PM me and I can tell you how I did it.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM

I made this quilt for grandbaby Elise for her grown up bed. I don't know which mag I got the pattern from, but I believe its called Stepping Stones.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9388.jpe   attachment-9389.jpe  
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I made this quilt for grandbaby Elise for her grown up bed. I don't know which mag I got the pattern from, but I believe its called Stepping Stones.
I bet your grandbaby Elise (pretty name) was very happy with that quilt! Did you get it out of a recent magazine?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Make a plain ole front and use that material whole for the backing. Make the front small enough so that you can pull the back around and use it for binding off. A simple 5" square pattern would be good. If you don't need all of the large print material for the backing you could try fussy cutting what you don't need and scatter the odd square on the front.

ReRe
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Yes, It was on the cover. In the past year or two, but then, it's hard to pass up a quilting magazine. The first pic is actually of the back. I like some of the Kaffe Fassett and Amy Butler patterns because they are designed to show off larger prints. (also a lot of bang for a little piecing.)

My husband is Lisie's grandpaw and he brought it to her at Easter. Her baby sister Celia got a coordinating quilt in a different pattern. Lisie likes the pillowcase too, and I sent some of the scraps so her and Grandpaw could make matching fabric bowls from the Moda BakeShoppe recipe.

It was a hit.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

large squares would work with the BQ pattern or BQ2 one.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:15 PM

I have this book -- and it is all large lone stars quilts made from a large scale print -- the star point is one huge diamond so that it can showcase the large print and then it gets that kaleidoscope effect too. The quilts are really pretty and look pretty easy to make because all the pieces are so big. I've always planned to make one myself when I find a to-die-for large scale print. You should check it out :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...arinetrader-20

Easy and Elegant Lone Star Quilts (all the wow without the work) by Shirley Stutz
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM

How about a 4 patch posie if there are 4 full repeats? You can use your coordinating fabrics for sashing to make it bigger.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 AM

Last night, I received my "newsletter" from Keepsake Quilting. The focus quilt is "Garden Twist". It features huge blocks of a large floral print. It is lovely and, if you can find it and take a look-see, you might use some or all of that pattern idea. It's basic enough, I think, to where you could devise your own pattern.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM

I think the one block wonder, or kaleidascopes would be great for your large print.