Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: large stitch quilting

Here's a picture of a quilt I made using ("the big stitch"). Hope the picture posts as I've been having trouble doing it with this new board. Name:  aRyan & Jason Bedroom Quilt.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  627.1 KB

I have done big stitch quilting on pre-printed baby quilt panels. I just follow the outline of the object in the panel (if it had a teddy bear on it outline the teddy bear for example). They turn out really cute and are fun to do on a pre-printed panel. They work up much faster than regular hand quilting and are great for charity quilts. I have used pearl cotton and a large needle. I haven't tried embroidery floss but imagine it would work well also.
    Lorraine

I use it in conjunction with stitch in the ditch by machine. The combination works well, especially on baby quilts but I have used it on tablerunners too. I have used yarn and pearl cotton.

thanks all for the info and pictures. this look is just the thing I will try. I love old fashioned quilts. Simple and colorful. Will check out all the sites suggested.

Kaffe Fassett does this. I saw some of his efforts at quilting in one of his earlier books. He just called it trying to quilt.
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

Hey this is the only type of hand quilting I know how to do. Didn't know there was a name for it.

Blog Entries

Large stitch quilting...

Our guild gave a lesson on this a few years ago. They showed it as a long stitch, then short, ect. Perle
    Cotton was their recommended thread at that time.
    I did Big stitch on a quilt, and it was okay; nothing great, tho!
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I'm sorry you find this "nothing great" because it really can be!
    I've never seen it done as a long stitch and then a short stitch, though, sounds weird.

As there are several sizes of perle cotton threads, one should probably note that the size 8 or 12 are probably better.

Yes, "big stitch" quilting IS similar to (the same as?) sashiko quilting. It is intended to show, yes, but is often done in colors other than just white as sashiko is.

My shop in Dallas taught classes on this technique 12 years ago. Our lovely teacher moved from Plano to North or South Carolina, as I remember.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

30 years ago, my husband's grandmother died, and we got all her quilts, in all different phases. Just last year I decided to get her maple leaves quilt finished. She had hand pieced the leaf blocks, as well as putting some in rows, with sashing. Luckily, she also left a piece of graph paper that she had drawn how they were going to go in the quilt, on point.
    I took the autumn pattern from my sash, and did finish it.
    HOWEVER, I'm not a hand quilter, but felt this piece deserved a 'hand quilted'
    finish, so I used what I knew as the Big Stitch
    I used many different colors of perle cotton, to match each leaf, and yellow for the sashing.

It's finished, but probably not the way she had envisioned.

Lesson:

Don't die and leave UFO's, you never know when (30 yrs later), how, (big stitch) or even IF they will get finished
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

If I was his grandmother, I would be tickled pink at how you finished it. Good job!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
    Is there anyone here who could tell me about large stitch quilting? saw it mentioned in an article and would love to have more info on it.
    I did this on a baby quilt. Really easy and liked the finished quilt. Also did this on placemats. Used floss in different shade and it was so pretty. Hand quilter use 1/4 in. X or if you have a design like dot to dot swirl follow the dots in a contrasting color. I didn't do the whole swirl just the outline to make the design pop

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    This looks wonderful!! Great job, she would have loved it.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I use pearl cotton I think #8. and a big needle. Love doing it because it works up fast.

In Feb/March of 2011 I posted a pic of one I did with big stitch. Verigated thread , perle cotton needed a big eye.
    Fabric kit had large size blocks but a very --"MODERN" look that younger people seemed to like more than the
    Baltimore Album type. Can't tell where it is on this forum. Was pink and brown.
    Liked the process in that circumstance.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep toe nail catcher's...seen this done by several "famous" folks...still don't care for it myself..not even on the prim stuff my sister does...

Large stitch quilting is very much like the Japanese Sashiko style of quilting. I think it gives a quilt an ethnic appeal - especially if bright coloured threads are used. If you are interested to try big stitches on your quilt, why not have a look at the Indian style of embroidery called Kantha? That style of stitch on your quilt could look extremely attractive if used correctly and in moderation.
    Here is a link to a kantha stitch site - a clever quilter could adapt these designs to suit a casual throw:
    http://www.sashaworld.com/kantha/kantha.htm
    Last edited by jitkaau; 12-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Just wanted to add another link to a video if anyone is interested in the kantha work done in Bengal:

http://youtu.be/zaX1RvJivqk

Chicken scratch/depression lace embroidery on quilts is also another big stitch design. You could quilt through the sandwich in a similar fashion. I am working on a chicken scratch quilt which I intend to quilt in a similar manner.
    http://youtu.be/cKTRR5pEkXo

That maple leaf quilt is a wonderful example of how nice the big stitch looks in the right area - lovely, timeless design.

Darn!!! I just finished a Gee's Bend quilt for my dd & sil for Christmas. That would have been the perfect quilt for this kind of quilting. I will certainly keep it in mind for my next primative type quilt.

I would love to see them. I think I will try it.

Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
    30 years ago, my husband's grandmother died, and we got all her quilts, in all different phases. Just last year I decided to get her maple leaves quilt finished. She had hand pieced the leaf blocks, as well as putting some in rows, with sashing. Luckily, she also left a piece of graph paper that she had drawn how they were going to go in the quilt, on point.
    I took the autumn pattern from my sash, and did finish it.
    HOWEVER, I'm not a hand quilter, but felt this piece deserved a 'hand quilted'
    finish, so I used what I knew as the Big Stitch
    I used many different colors of perle cotton, to match each leaf, and yellow for the sashing.

It's finished, but probably not the way she had envisioned.

Lesson:

Don't die and leave UFO's, you never know when (30 yrs later), how, (big stitch) or even IF they will get finished
    I'm know if I left this UFO and someone cared enough to finish it I would be so tickled. Better that it is still in the family and not some church rummage sale.

I think you honored your hubby's Grandmother by finishing it and since she isn't here to tell how she envisoned it finished....I'm sure she would be pleased that you took the time to complete her UFO.
    Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-13-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2