Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
largest throat area >

largest throat area

largest throat area

Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 AM

I have the Janome 8900 also. It is a terrific machine. It has everything the quilter wants. Mine does a wonderful job of quilting. I also have the Brother 1500. It is a great machine too, simple, but very nice.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 AM

I have a Janome 6500 and the Juki TL98Q and both are suppose to have a 9" harp but the Juki has a much higher rectangular space and so much more room than my Janome. The Janome cost me $2000 Canadian and the Juki $1000 and the Juki sews so much better in every way than the Janome. The Juki is fast and powerful and will sew straight through multiple layers without groaning, complaining or breaking needles. The feet are heavy and solid and the stitch is accurate and the quilting even and consistent. It only does straight stitch (love those thread cutters) but that is what I need more than 90% of the time. I have both machines set up and use the Janome when I have to. I wouldn't even consider buying another Janome after using my Juki.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:26 AM

I have the Janome 6300 which comes with a 9" harp, needle threader, thread cutter and a lot of decorative stitches (Not sure how many and too lazy to go look right now). I use it for piecing and quilting and general craft sewing. I am very pleased with it. Paid about $1000 new two years ago.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:37 PM

My husband gave me the Baby Lock Crescendo for my 50th wedding anniversary. Wow- what a machine. It has everything you would want along with the 11 space. And it sews so quietly. Good luck with your decision.
Oh, you will love this, my good friend said that if her husband gave her a gift like that, she would shoot him. LOL
Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 PM

The thing is ... most of the machines that have the larger throat space ALSO have all of the extra stitches etc - so they are pretty pricey.

There is one that I found that has an almost 9" harp space, a thread cutter, and is a straight stitch only (also has a knee lever, and a toe button on foot controller for thread cutter) is the Juki line of machines which you can pick up for a fraction of the price of the highest end Janome or Bernina machines.

I really do wish more of the machine companies would come out with a "stretch" model (12" harp or more) that is a simple straight stitch with reverse, thread cutter, and bobbin winder. I'd love the harp space, will never use hundreds of stitches.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM

I have the Juki2010 and love it. It's only 9" but that is plenty for me. What I absolutely love about it is the foot pedal. The thread cutter and the knee lift is awesome.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Will have to agree that for the money the Juki does a super job. Sewing Machine Plus was great to work with also.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 AM

For the money, My Brother1500s has everything that Juki does, I do believe and it was several hundred dollars cheaper. It has a 9" throat but a very high space above, cutter, knee lift, needle up or down high speed if you need or want it, pin feed and I love it. I bought it for FMQing, but find more and more, I am piecing on it too, it is so easy to acquire a 1/4" seam even without a special 1/4" foot.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:22 AM

As one can see, we all have different opinions of which machines are the best, meaning the best for each of us. I have a Ellisimo Gold II, a Janome 7700, a old Kenmore with cams, and a Elna 6004. I loved each machine when I first got them, but of all of them my BabyLock Ellisimo is just the cat's meow. I say buy what you like, (after trying some) & then if you can, spring for the next model up because after a time you'll want more & more features. I can not live now with out my knee lift, thread cutter and needle up/down features, but that is just me.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I have a Janome 8900qcp which has an 11" harp area along with a large table that attaches (included with the machine). I love the extra space. It also has a thread cutter, threader and tons of stitches along with the ability to put things into memory. The dual feed (walking) foot attaches differently and doesn't have that extra arm that others have to move it along. Overall I'm very happy with the machine. It has a much higher list price but you should be able to strike a deal with a dealer to get it for around $3,000. Trying to find pricing and what was reasonable was the hardest part of my purchase. Dealers do not advertise the price on this machine. Others on this board were helpful in letting me know a range to look for. As I understand it Janome will not allow this machine to be sold on-line.
I recently bought the Janome made Elna 760 which is the fraternal twin of the Janome 8900. I love it!!! Fantastic machine.