Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laser Stylus Is Not for Me >

Laser Stylus Is Not for Me

Laser Stylus Is Not for Me

Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Default Laser Stylus Is Not for Me

Now that I have finished several quilts on the longarm, I finally tried the laser stylus on the longarm. Ugh! My sis-in-law sometimes tells me to slow down but the laser slowed me down so much I thought I'd never finish the design. Thank goodness it was just some practice fabric! I think I would much rather spend my time practicing drawing my designs freehand than trace an image with the laser.

Does anyone else use a laser? When especially do you find it helpful?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Yes I use the laser often. What panto did you try. I am an HQ rep and when I train folks we talk a lot about the death grip. Avoid that and try a flowy panto like drift or double plume. You really can do beautiful work with them. Have u tried rulers yet?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM

I am with you, Christine. I just can't get it. I end up using the groovy boards a ruler because I can't follow a panto. Everything gets sharp points in it.

My husband doesn't believe anyone could do that. I keep telling him some people do but he is very disbelieving. I wonder sometimes if new tracks would help me. Lizzy? I have an HQ16 that I think is 3 or 4 years old. I have had it for 2 years. The quilt shop I bought it from said they had done 4 quilts on it. I have probably done 25 or so.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM

I have used the laser on every quilt we've done. I'm not confident that I could do anything free-hand. The laser and pantos are my friends!

Darren
Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 AM

Practice, lots of it. You'll get it. I love using the laser up front with patterns that I've drawn on paper. It all just takes practice!! You can do this.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Power Poster

I use the laser on all of my quilts!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 AM

I use mostly laser and pantos on my Tin Lizzie...my free motion looks like a 4yr old's scribbling on a good day. However, I wish there was an easier way to learn the free motion because panto don't always fit the quilt. When I bought it, the rep said I would love the free motion quilting, it would be sooooo easy and to stay away from pantos until I was more familiar with the machine.
Well, I never got my lesson, my DH and I set it up and I have not heard back from the rep EVER since I bought it, so did I listen to her...NO. I am pretty good at pantos, but, like I said, my free motion looks like scribbling.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 AM

oooo, please tell us more about this! What exactly do you mean? Where is the stylus mounted? What machine do you use?

Last edited by DebraK; 03-01-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 AM

I have only done a few quilts on my friend's machine, but I like to just move along and see what I come up with. I find it a very creative process, which I think lasers and pantos would take away from! That's just me, though!
nancy
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 AM

I have only done a few quilts on my friend's machine, but I like to just move along and see what I come up with. I find it a very creative process, which I think lasers and pantos would take away from! That's just me, though!
nancy