Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • last bobbin genie question >
  • last bobbin genie question

• last bobbin genie question

Old 10-08-2014, 06:34 AM

Default last bobbin genie question

I have heard the yays and nays and read reviews good and bad but now my last question is: can you keep them in the machine for all sewing. they advertise specifically for FMQ and Embroidery but I do a lot of garment sewing after Christmas and can I just leave it in the machine. I have not seen that addressed specifically.
    Thanks
    Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM

no reason to take it out
    Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM
    Power Poster

I use them in all my machines with metal bobbin case. I put them in my two Janome machines drop in bobbins but it is mostly plastic so not much difference I can tell there. The only problem I have is dropping one when I change the bobbin. LOL
    Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 AM

FMQ is kind of where the stitches are the most sensitive...so hiccups tend to show there first. Bobbin genie's were created really for vertical metal bobbins...though I have heard of some using them in drop in machines (though I've used one in both and don't see much of a difference with drop in...I don't think the plastic on plastic or plastic on metal causes the same issues as the metal on metal vertical bobbin and shuttles do)...but I don't think you'll have any issues with straight stitching. No more than if you were to keep in the metal backlash springs that often come with the machines.
    Old 10-08-2014, 07:58 AM

How would I know if I have a spring in mine? I have taken the bobbin case out and cleaned in there and have never seen a spring. Guess that is probably the answer, don't have one or not looking in the right place
    Old 10-08-2014, 09:25 AM

My friend gave me one to try. My Brother drop-in bobbin didn't like them. Just tried it in my Juki 600. My machine sounded like it was working really hard & my stitches were really tiny. Took the genie out & my machine sewed like normal. Oh, both times this was straight stitching
    Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269
    How would I know if I have a spring in mine? I have taken the bobbin case out and cleaned in there and have never seen a spring. Guess that is probably the answer, don't have one or not looking in the right place
    You would know - it sounds like you don't! The spring is sort of a small circular metal ring with two fingers that project outward towards the bobbin and it sits in the bottom of the bobbin case like a genie would. It's metal but probably as thin as a bobbin genie...and it is found in many bobbin cases for the exact same reason you would have a bobbin genie...to prevent backlash. Backlash is just spin that happens after your machine is stopped or when you switch directions quickly and usually causes knotting on the underside of your quilt...something so subtle you might not even notice unless free motion quilting or stitching with a very fine thread at speeds many people just don't use unless they are FMQ'ing. Some prefer the bobbin genie to the metal springs...some machines don't come with the springs so they can be bought or others buy the bobbin genie. I have a Juki TL 2010 and it has a bobbin spring in the bobbin case.