Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: At Last - A marking pencil that really works!

Blog Entries

At Last - A marking pencil that really works!

I have been on the great quest for a perfect marking pencil. I now have a pile of marginal pens (not counting the bounce chalk and the spray stencil marker). That's not countint the pones I threw away in disgust. I read a craftsy comment about a marker called Sewline Fabric mechanical Pencil trio. I figured why not/ Now it never leaves my side. I am going to order at least one more in case I leave it someplace (little senile) and I already have replacement lead. I am so happy!!!!! This tool has really made a difference
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

I am going to try and get one also. Thanks
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

I have heard terrific things about the Sewline pencils. I need to get it. I to have a collection of markers I cannot/will not use.

Thanks for the feedback on this. I know Leah Day really recommends this product. I have the fons and porter white ceramic lead mechanical pencil and it is a wonderful tool for marking dark fabrics but it sometimes rubs out to easily. I find it a better tool for marking as I go.

I agree - those are nice markers and the marks can be removed when your done!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip. Have not been happy with any of the ones I've been using.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, I bought one. now where did I put it??
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I have tried so many fabric markers but none seem to show well on dark fabric.
    Does this one show up well and stay on long enough to get the sewing done?
    Washable?
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have tried so many fabric markers but none seem to show well on dark fabric.
    Does this one show up well and stay on long enough to get the sewing done?
    Washable?
    I have used the white marker and the black one. they both stay on nicely although I haven't marked anything more than about a week ahead. They kind of erase out and so far I have used a wet rag but they say they are washable.
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

I have the Sewline mechanical pencil set but found that I had to press hard to leave a mark and felt like I was stretching my fabric (drawing diagonal line on square to make HST felt like it was distorting the fabric too much).

I've been using a washable marker pen for now but need to figure something else out for marking lines that are on the seam line (like when you need to mark a square to make a snowball block) and could potentially be visable in the finished quilt block.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I use both the Sewline mechanical pencils (I keep several colors of the "lead" on hand-easy to change colors for better visibility), and the fine and regular point disappearing inks...they all serve their purposes quite well. The fine point disappears pretty fast though.
    Heidi
    Life is like a tornado watch. You can hunker down in the cellar or stand on the roof and let the wind give you rock star hair!

Blog Entries
    Usually I use whatever is handy to mark my fabric. I will have to try these. Lately I've been using a chalk wheel. I have two, one for light and one for dark.
    Got fabric?

I love mine!
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    I have the Sewline mechanical pencil set but found that I had to press hard to leave a mark and felt like I was stretching my fabric (drawing diagonal line on square to make HST felt like it was distorting the fabric too much).

I've been using a washable marker pen for now but need to figure something else out for marking lines that are on the seam line (like when you need to mark a square to make a snowball block) and could potentially be visable in the finished quilt block.
    If you are marking the diagonal line to make HST, you can use anything you want because that line will never be seen! I just use a regular pencil or pen that goes on smoothly. No need to use your special (and sometimes pricey!) marking pens!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    If you are marking the diagonal line to make HST, you can use anything you want because that line will never be seen! I just use a regular pencil or pen that goes on smoothly. No need to use your special (and sometimes pricey!) marking pens!!!!
    I agree - I keep a mechanical pencil nearby for this type of marking. I buy the inexpensive package in the school supply area right after school starts - great deals.

Can you buy the Sewline pencil at Joannes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
    I have used the white marker and the black one. they both stay on nicely although I haven't marked anything more than about a week ahead. They kind of erase out and so far I have used a wet rag but they say they are washable.
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
    I will look for these pencils next time I'm out & about.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    You might want to mark your new pencils "for sewing only" or something like that so others in the house will know not to use them on anything but fabric. HTH
    Nikki in MO

I'm looking for a marker that will simply wash out when I'm done with the project. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I tend to use the blue wash out markers. I do have a Sew line pencil. I hate to erase on my fabric though. does this marking come off with water???
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I use the Sewline black and white pencils. I love them!!!!
    Gloria 

Love it love it love it. Have several

I also use the Sewline pencils. The green lead has become my go-to color, for sure. No matter how I mark with the green - a dark line or light line - it always washes out. I recently marked up a quilt that included muslin-colored Kona fabric and not a mark to be seen after washing it. I've found the green works great with any fabric color - except green! With green fabric I use the yellow lead. I've thrown out every other marking pencil I had.

I have two - I LOVE them!! - Oh - two because I always loose one and one is white the other is green!
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I have two, one with white and one with dark. So I have one ready to go for those quilts with dark and light. Easy to use, thin line, washes out beautifully. But as with all, mark lightly. I do find the white (chalk) seems to fade fairly quickly when I don't want it to LOL!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I use the Roxanne water soluble chalk marking pencils -- they stay on pretty well and they wash out beautifully. I use both the gray and the white depending on the color of the fabric -- and although they are not refillable they are not that expensive. The only problem I have is if I make the point too sharp, it breaks -- I borrowed a friend's SewLine in a class and it was like the lead had a skin on it that I had to press hard to get it to start drawing.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast