Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest about Mary Ellen Hopkins >

Latest about Mary Ellen Hopkins

Latest about Mary Ellen Hopkins

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Jim

So sorry to hear of her passing. I know she is in a quilting heaven. She certainly taught me to have fun as I quilt. She had a fantastic humor and she passed it on to her students. She was a true inspiration
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM

The best quilting class I took was based on her book (it's ok to sit on my quilt) - I learned so much from that book and that class. Sorry to hear of her passing. She touched a lot of lives!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 AM

thank you for posting that article I to was a fan of Mary Ellen's although I never took a class from her directly I took classes from teachers that had taken from her 2 of my favorites were and still are is her PPM measurements [personal private and my quilts always went together the other was a class on a scrap quilt and trying to get matchy matchy with the fabric the teacher put all the lights in one bag and all the darks in a bag we drew them without looking or we got blindfolded Mary Ellen was a great teacher
Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 AM

Oh my, so sorry to hear this news. It was just yesterday that I responded to another thread where I said that Mary Ellen was one of my favorite "TV quilters" with her practical approach to quilting. Makes me want to pull out her book and make a quilt in her honor. May she rest in peace.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

She contributed a lot to the quilting world. I learned a lot from her It's Okay .... book.

I loved her practical approach!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I actually use to shop at her quilt store in Santa Monica. She was a pioneer in quilting. I am certain if you Google her name, you can find examples of the fabric she designed (a bit on the wild side) and the books she has published. She was such a joy to be around like Eleanor Burns. One of the few people I trusted when picking out my fabric. She never steered me wrong!!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

I too have Mary Ellen's books and enjoyed her way of teaching quilting. What an inspiration she was to us all. Sorry ot hear of her passing but she will be remembered as a true pioneer in the quilting world.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM

I m relatively "new" to quilting (7 years) so I am not familiar with her. I will have to do some research on her.

Sandy
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM

I had never heard of Mary Ellen, but she sounds wonderful and I'm glad she is still doing well and enjoying life. Based on the replies to this thread, I just purchased her book for a 1.00 + shipping. I am excited to get it in the mail and learn from this lady. Gina
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
My husband's aunt gifted me with her copy of "It's OK to Sit on My Quilt." A great book that taught me so much about how blocks are constructed. So glad she shared her expertise with the quilting world.
I have that book, it's a jewel. I miss her too.