Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Layer cake...have you made a quilt with one of these?

Layer cake...have you made a quilt with one of these?

Have you made a quilt from a layer cake? I hadn't, until I took my sister's workshop last month. I just love the result! I think a layer cake may be the answer to this color challenged person! All of the fabrics look good together, and I can't say that about fabrics I select.

This is a double slice layer cake, found originally on ...well, phooey, I can't remember the name of the place. Sometimes I seriously worry about my brain. Anyway, it was a tutorial, and I want to say Ohio Star, but I know that isn't it.

That isn't what I meant to ask. Where can I get other patterns designed for layer cakes? Does anyone know?

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the quilt you made! Moda has a recipe page that has quilts that can be made from layer cakes.

Blog Entries
    Missouri star quilt company too has layer cake tutorials

Yes, it is Missouri Star!!! Thanks. I have also googled and found some patterns. Plus I found the "recipe page" that came with my layer cake. Now I just need more layer cakes! I can do that. (First I need to get my new credit card, as someone used mine that wasn't me...again. Third time in 5 years. None of my LQS have layer cakes, so I must order online. )

Dina

Dina

That's one of my favorite quilts, and a favorite site! I also like the Moda Bake Shop, which also has a ton of patterns using precuts.

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    I used a layer cake for this:

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...ice-quilt.html

It was super fun to make and ended up looking pretty great.

Blog Entries
    I'm using a layer cake now to make Broken Dishes pattern quilt top. No waste at all. The layer cakes cuts into the perfect amount needed. I have started buying layer cakes instead of charm packs.
    Got fabric?

Just a suggestion Dina, but have you considered setting up a Paypal account to buy those layer cakes online? Many online shopping sites have this as an alternative to credit cards. I frequently purchase online through my Paypal account.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    Just a suggestion Dina, but have you considered setting up a Paypal account to buy those layer cakes online? Many online shopping sites have this as an alternative to credit cards. I frequently purchase online through my Paypal account.
    Yes, I think that is what I need to do. My husband already uses PayPal. I just need to learn to do it. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Dina

Blog Entries
    Very pretty!!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

I used a layer cake to make a large twister quilt.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt. Love the colors.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

I made a layer cake for my DD for Christmas and have three in the works now. Sure saves a lot of time and work in using the precut fabric. Wish our local stores carried a bigger selection.

Blog Entries
    I've found patterns in quilt magazines, too. I made a neat quilt by cutting circles out of an entire layer cake... I think it was 8" circles, then stitching the circles AND the remainder part of the 10" piece to a simple background color. Then arranged all the pieces into a quilt. The circles and squares were stitched using raw-edge applique and frayed beautifully when washed. You'll see this quilt on the Allpeoplequilt site. click on quilts using precuts... It was for a niece when she was a baby, but I chose a layer cake that would "grow" with her... not too baby-ish, not too girl-ish, either... can't remember, of course, but pretty sure it was Moda...
    LOVE layer cakes!!
    Last edited by running1; 04-02-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Quote Originally Posted by running1 View Post
    I've found patterns in quilt magazines, too. I made a neat quilt by cutting circles out of an entire layer cake... I think it was 8" circles, then stitching the circles AND the remainder part of the 10" piece to a simple background color. Then arranged all the pieces into a quilt. The circles and squares were stitched using raw-edge applique and frayed beautifully when washed. You'll see this quilt on the Allpeoplequilt site. click on quilts using precuts... It was for a niece when she was a baby, but I chose a layer cake that would "grow" with her... not too baby-ish, not too girl-ish, either... can't remember, of course, but pretty sure it was Moda...
    LOVE layer cakes!!
    This sounds like a fun quilt! I will put it on my "to do" list! Thanks!! I am off to look at it now.

Dina

just google "free layer cake patterns" and you find a bunch. Also, Moda's website has a lot as well as MSQC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I used a layer cake for this:

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...ice-quilt.html

It was super fun to make and ended up looking pretty great.
    I like that! I have a layer cake that has been pining away for a project - this looks like a good one.
    Pat

Connecting Threads has 15-18 pc layer cakes, called stack 10" squares for $9.95 each. You might have to order 2-3 but would have lots of squares.

Cool Books for use with layer cakes

I bought two books with patterns just for the patterns because I do not buy layer cakes but the patterns in these books are too hard to by pass. The books are a fun read too. the way the patterns are written is that they are set up from a stand point assuming you have either 10 (layer cake) or 5 inch (charms) squares. what is fun is that each pattern has pictures and direction for a quilt make with 10 inch squares and then a pattern of a smaller similar quilt made with 5 inch squares.

http://www.amazon.com/Schnibbles-Tim.../dp/1564779866
    quilt books with layer cake patterns

http://www.amazon.com/Another-Bite-S...d_bxgy_b_img_y

Here are two 3 quilts made with patterns from these books. The red quilt is made with 5 inch squares and the other two quilts a cal king and a lap quilt that are similar that are made with 10 inch or layer cake squares. I just used a scrap bag of solids I bought for the red quilt and Fat Quarters and other yardage for the other two quilts. I altered a lot for the cal king.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anna Quilts

I have never used layer cakes. I enjoy choosing and matching my own fabrics too much. Great quilt.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I made one from layer cakes-2 I think; the pattern was the 10 minute block. I made large blocks so it went together quickly and I loved it. so did my daughter
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Go to Jenny on MQC. She has a few to look at. Love your quilt and colors.

Annaquilts, your quilts are beautiful!!

Dina

I Made a quilt with Layer cakes called Star Cakes

Here's my first attempt with a layer cake - a bit busy for me but my niece I'm making it for loves it. Hope to finish it this weekend. And now that I have sewed it together I noticed I have too many of the same fabrics together.
    Name:  KariQuilt.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  133.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast