Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer cake log cabin? >

Layer cake log cabin?

Layer cake log cabin?

Old 05-23-2022, 02:58 AM

Default Layer cake log cabin?

http://notesofsincerity.blogspot.com...in-blocks.html
Has anyone used this method to make a log cabin block? Concern I have is cutting logs for light and dark from same 10" square. So do you end up with positive/negative blocks?
Old 05-23-2022, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

You have a light and dark side on each block.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:27 AM

Ya know...looking at a layer cake and NO lights in there. So guess I'll shop my stash and make my own layer cakes. Just having an early morning foggy brain issue...ever happen to you?
Old 05-23-2022, 06:33 AM

Something is wrong with the measurements on this block. If I start out with a 2.5" square and add a 2" by 2.5" piece, I WILL get 4" to match to the third piece. BUT, the next piece needs to account for the seam allowance between the first section and the added 4" by 2" rectangle. So I would want a 3.5" by 2" instead of 4" by 2" piece. The next two pieces are okay at 5.5" but I need 7.25" and then 7" for sides number six and seven. The last side should be 9". Now the block will finish at 8.5" as she states. Haven't tried this out yet, just thought it through a few times. Anybody else see what I see?

Last edited by L'il Chickadee; 05-23-2022 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2022, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Something is wrong with the measurements on this block. If I start out with a 2.5" square and add a 2" by 2.5" piece, I WILL get 4" to match to the third piece. BUT, the next piece needs to account for the seam allowance between the first section and the added 4" by 2" rectangle. So I would want a 3.5" by 2" instead of 4" by 2" piece. The next two pieces are okay at 5.5" but I need 7.25" and then 7" for sides number six and seven. The last side should be 9". Now the block will finish at 8.5" as she states. Haven't tried this out yet, just thought it through a few times. Anybody else see what I see?
I believe the measurements are correct as shown. I hope this diagram helps. The numbers along the sides of each log are the finished size of that edge, while the numbers in parentheses are the size of the unfinished patch.
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 03:02 PM

TUSM...Dunster...on the search for LC and JR that may work for me.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:35 PM

Okay, nevermind. I sat down to go through this again before trying a test block and.... the numbers were correct. I was confusing finished size with unfinished size. Once I added up all the pieces and then subtracted the seams it all worked out. Just came on here to say don't listen to a little bird when it comes to math. Sigh! Thank you, Dunster. Will have a look at your diagram. Trial block after dinner. So good to go through these mental exercises, someday it will click. I hope.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Okay, nevermind. I sat down to go through this again before trying a test block and.... the numbers were correct. I was confusing finished size with unfinished size. Once I added up all the pieces and then subtracted the seams it all worked out. Just came on here to say don't listen to a little bird when it comes to math. Sigh! Thank you, Dunster. Will have a look at your diagram. Trial block after dinner. So good to go through these mental exercises, someday it will click. I hope.
Coming back to say I did the trial block last night, no problems at all, took maybe ten minutes. Kudos to Trish. I like that the center square is slightly larger and by using a dark fabric, it gives the block just that extra touch.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:21 AM

After all of that conversation above, I want to say aren't we a good group of congenial helpers! Thanks for the original post, Julienm1. I think my stack of layer cakes may be diminishing. This may have been a blog from 2012, but it still works!
Old 05-25-2022, 04:11 AM

Teach, I agree. This forum is my "go to" for help with almost anything. Definately the best place to go for questions. However, with that being said, I still have problems with keeping my sewing/fabric rooms organized. (Don't think those rooms will EVER be user friendly...lol)