Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layout Suggestions Needed >

Layout Suggestions Needed

Layout Suggestions Needed

Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Default Layout Suggestions Needed

I have a KS quilt I'm making for my daughter. It's just nine patch blocks with a solid center square and 1/4 sq. triangles squares for the rest of the block. The current blocks are 13-1/2" unfinished. I recently purchased a Go! Baby at a give-away price and decided to make the rest of the blocks using the Go!Baby to cut the squares. I ordered the die to make the size squares I'm using but now I find the blocks are coming out 13" unfinished. How do I use the blocks I've already made with the ones made using the Go!Baby? I was planning of setting them on point with a 2" to 3" sashing between the blocks. I'm at a loss to figure this out. I don't want to remake the blocks I've already done and I'm afraid if I try to cut them down to match the new blocks all the points will get cut off. Help!

This is a link to the picture. I enlarged the blocks for a KS quilt. It's the first picture on the left of the first row.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...F5B1DD1CD3310F
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 AM

How many blocks came out at 13" instead of 13.5?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 AM

I have 16 of the 13.5" blocks and 3 of the 13". I'm planning on making the quilt 114x104. I just started making the blocks using the Go! Baby so I haven't gotten too many of them.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Gay

What size is your centre square? Your 1/4 tri sqs should be the same size, if not then your Go die may be a tad too small. Think I would go with your first method rather than undo and re-sew 16 blocks.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:32 PM

How many have you cut with the Go? If you only have the three that you've already sewn, I would redo them. But if you've cut a bunch, well, then we have to look at how many blocks you need for your layout and how to tweak the layout.

In actuality, the difference in the blocks is only 1/4 inch on all sides. Could you put a frame around each of the blocks before adding sashing? It could even be the same fabric as the sashing. You could then bring them all up to the same size. I did that with my sampler quilt where the blocks finished at 8 and 9 inches. No one can really tell and that was a whole inch difference in size.

Here's a link to my quilt. Some blocks have a 1 1/2 inch border and some have a 2 inch border before the 3 strip sashing.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...35-medium-.jpg

Last edited by GingerK; 01-26-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 AM

I've only made three of the Go blocks. I thought about putting a frame around each block but I wasn't sure how it would look with the different size blocks and the blocks being on point. Yours gave me a idea though. I had to look really hard to see the difference and I knew what I was looking for. Yours looked like a design choice. Now I have an idea of how to proceed. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 AM

For just 3 blocks, I would eliminate them from the quilt and make pillow shams with them. If it's only 3 blocks. Just a thought
Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 AM

I like GingerK’s suggestion. Once the blocks are all the same size, your only modification will be the location of the new blocks. If they are scattered over the whole quilt, no one will notice. If the new scant border is a noticeable new color, then you can make the new block’s arrangement a real focal point. Either way, the new border concept involves no throwing out, no taking apart, and maybe a new way to play with arrangement. Win-win.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:48 AM

I agree, GingerK's suggestion is what I'm going to do. I had thought about doing something like that but I guess I just needed to see it. Scattering the new blocks in with the old will just look like that was the way it was intended. It sure relieves a lot of stress trying to figure out what to do. Now I have a plan. Thanks everyone.