Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lazy, Newbie, Hand Quilter Needs Some Tips >

Lazy, Newbie, Hand Quilter Needs Some Tips

Lazy, Newbie, Hand Quilter Needs Some Tips

Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 AM

Default Lazy, Newbie, Hand Quilter Needs Some Tips

I'm thinking of trying my hand at hand quilting. I've always either FMQ my quilts, (which I hate,) taken them to a LAQ, or just tied my quilts. I'm thinking hand quilting might be for me, but it just seems like so much work. Any tips to get started? Thanks!

~ C
Old 01-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

How lucky! Now is your chance to start off right. Learn how to use a thimble on your needle pushing finger. I was lucky enough to take a class with Ami Sims back in the day and got started of right. There are lessons on the net nowadays.
I like a metal thimble with a rim on my index finger but some use their middle finger. Find out what works for you. Hand quilting needles are called "betweens" and I use a number 10. I prefer Guterman's hand quilting thread.
You might also like to look into the " big stitch" method of hand quilting for a different look.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

This book does not have great reviews on amazon, but the author is a fantastic quilter and shows a different way of quilting http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
i have seen her work... terrific. and she uses a different sort of hoop... it has a ridge circling one hoop and a notch circling the other hoop, which helps to hold the work taut. with the stab method, work is held taut. with the more common method, work is placed loosely in the hoop, if a hoop is used at all.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Big stitch (IMHO) is a easier introduction to hand quilting, plus goes faster using bigger stitches. Tips and information can be found online or pintrest.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Before you start trying, don't get discouraged. My teacher told us that it takes about eleven hours of hand uilting for it to start "working" for you. Make sure you learn a newer method that doesn't injure your hands and wrists with the repetitive motion.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Welcome to the club! Hand quilting can be very relaxing. I think one of the most important elements to hand quilting is finding a thimble that FITS and is comfortable for you. I personally prefer Thimblelady thimbles. They are designed so that you push with the pad of your finger vs the top of your finger. Far more comfortable for me. They also have very deep dimples which hold the needle better. I also use 'betweens' and my favorites are Roxanne needles. I'll use various sizes...just depends on what I have handy. The larger the number, the smaller the needle (and respectively, it's eye). I will generally use just about any hand quilting thread brand if it is the color I need/want for a given project.

I usually quilt in a hoop and keep the quilt fairly loose in the hoop. If you check out the quilting videos on the Thimblelady site, you will see she uses a fairly long needle and loads lots of stitches onto the needle. I have used her needles as well but prefer the shorter betweens. But she also keeps her sandwich very loose in the hoop. You'll hear/read much about the 'rocking' motion of the needle. I prefer to 'rock' the fabric more so than the needle. It works for me.

Many folks also recommend having a scrap sandwich around to get your motion going before moving onto your actual quilt. It does take a few minutes usually to get your rhythm going after stopping. I don't bother with the scrap piece but can see where it could have it's advantages.

It's a process, and one to be enjoyed. You'll likely not win any speed contests with hand quilting but I find it very relaxing. I generally enjoy hand work. I machine piece when DH is out and about and hand quilting gives me the opportunity to still sew/quilt while he's around, generally in the evening while watching TV. For me, great combination of activities.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 AM

Thanks everyone! I love all of the great tips! I'm thinking of starting with a big stitch project. What about battings? Which are best to use for beginners? I tend to prefer natural materials.

~ C
Old 01-13-2015, 04:18 AM

I use Warm & Natural but most folks think it's difficult to hand quilt through due to the scrim. I don't really have a problem with it...perhaps because it's what I've always used and don't know any better! A friend uses Quilter's Dream 100% cotton and it does have a very nice drape. If I ever finish up the roll of W&N, I'll give that a try.

One of these years I'd love to try a silk batting but it would have to be for an heirloom piece as the silk is so expensive. And I'm not sure I'm an heirloom quilter!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 AM

Thanks NJ Quilter. I almost exclusively use cotton. However, I wonder how bamboo would hand quilt? I've been wanting to try it ~ C
Old 01-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

You are going to LOVE hand quilting. There is a great amount of satisfaction in knowing that you did it yourself. One thing I found out is to not worry about the size of the stitches right away. They will get smaller on their own. Just concentrate on making them even. I know that it seems to take a long time, but it's worth it. I like to hand quilt while I am watching television. You don't realize how much you are getting done till the show's over.