Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lead warning on Iron >

Lead warning on Iron

Lead warning on Iron

Old 07-06-2015, 05:18 AM

Default Lead warning on Iron

I have been trying to find a new iron with an on/off switch (to no avail) so currently have four new irons. Was happy with my Black & Decker, so got another. This new one has a light to tell you it's plugged in, even though it's off, and the handle is hot after several hours of being off.
So in looking for their contact number, noticed a warning: The power cord on his product contains lead. Wash hands after handling.

Amazing.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 AM

I plug my iron into a power strip that has a red light when the strip is powered on with it's on/off switch. My Ott light and small fan is also plugged into the power strip. So, I know everything is off when I leave the room as the light is out. My iron is supposed to have an auto off, but it still feels too warm if not used in over a hour.

I have another Ott lamp which clamps onto my sewing table and has a flexible arm. It has a big module that plugs in. I was shocked the other night when I unplugged it and it was "very" hot. The lamp had been on for about 5-6 hours. I have learned to unplug anything not in use that uses those power modules to help save on electric. I recently got a new Cable box, and the new one does not have a plug module that gets hot to the touch.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:04 AM

"noticed a warning: The power cord on his product contains lead. Wash hands after handling. " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ​Seriously??????????? You'd think they wouldn't allow those to be sold in the US!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
I have been trying to find a new iron with an on/off switch (to no avail) so currently have four new irons. Was happy with my Black & Decker, so got another. This new one has a light to tell you it's plugged in, even though it's off, and the handle is hot after several hours of being off.
So in looking for their contact number, noticed a warning: The power cord on his product contains lead. Wash hands after handling.

Amazing.
Where did you see this? And which B & D iron did you have? I ask as I just got a new B&D digital advantage iron and I couldn't find anywhere where it said it had lead in the cord. Am I missing it?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:50 AM

Have you ever bought those pretty, sparkly, little Christmas lights? Take a look at the tag on the cord, and on the box. It says the same thing about lead and washing hands. So, what do you associate with Christmas and lights?, children? I don't think any of those lights are made in USA, even though they have been approved by the appropriate labs. I guess it's okay to foul the environment as long as the product doesn't short out or electrocute you.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I wonder about the workers who made the cords? It's so hard to find everyday products not made in China for US companies. I have a Black and Decker classic and the handle stays very warm for a long time, always had. It's made from Bakelite so holds the heat.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 AM

All power cords and extension cords I've ever seen have this warning.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

NEVER heard that before. I keep iron plugged into a surge strip that has a light attached so I always know then it is on. Easy to just flip the serge protector off and both light and iron are securely turned off.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Went to check on my iron. My Sunbeam is made in China thumbdown: but no lead. I would just cover the handle. I don't trust any small appliances, toasters, irons, curling irons. When I worked in the salon for many years, I just unplug the multi plug outlet. I placed it on the vanity/workstation so I could see it wasn't on. One look is all I needed. It doesn't take that long for a small appliance to heat up. I turn all appliances off and still unplug. When I leave the house for the day and know I'm going to be gone awhile, I unplug my sewing machines by unplugging the multi plug from the wall. It's been stormy lately and I'm not taking chances.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM

It's not what they warn you against that you should be worried about. It s what they don't that will kill you. Try buying anything in California. The warnings here will scare you to death if you take them seriously. I don't. The amount of lead you will absorb from a plastic cable is well, non-existent and the lead warning comes from the solder they attach the wires to the plug inside the plastic housing of the plug. Don't chew on the cable, don't cut the plug off, don't burn the cable with the iron, and you will be fine.

I found the cheap Black and Decker iron to be not hot enough. I find auto off systems on irons to be a pain but I do understand why they use them. And we have no thunderstorms here in Silicon Valley so nothing ever gets unplugged. I do remember the days of unplugging all electronics when I lived on the east coast. What a pain but necessary.

tim in san jose