Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: learned about Daily Deal.......

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I love MSQC daily deals. Even if I don't order anything else at the time it's still a good deal for me.

Blog Entries
    I get the Daily Deal and ALWAYS go in as a 'Daily Inspiration', but not only for the beautiful fabric suggestions - I LOVE the time they put into the little stories that personally apply to the Daily Deal.

Many times I have seen where she tells you to 'put as many as you like in your cart' and that's a great deal. I have several of the DD's and need to come up with an idea to use them for. There are just so pretty I hate to cut into them.

I made three quilts for Christmas presents in 2012 using different patterns for each while letting Jenny guide me through the process with her tutorials. I was so pleased with them. The recipients were very thrilled as well, almost felt guilty taking the credit for them. I think Jenny is wonderful and is very genuine.

I have experienced the same thing. And, I won't pay $5 shipping on a $2.77 or even $10 item. And, I also think it would be nice if when they offered something I liked--say a charm pack -- if they would offer the layer cake or jelly roll of that pattern on a reduced price. That would make me more inclined to buy something.

Yes, I found that out too and then when you add the cost of postage it really isn't a good deal. I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I, for the first time, was interested in the Missouri Star Quilt Co. daily deal......a really cute charm pack offered for a great price of 2.77....but I wanted more than just one pack, so I updated the invoice to show 3 and when I proceeded to checkout it showed one at sale price and two at regular.....I called store and was told yes, one can only order one of the specials all else of that item are at reg. price....so I cancelled order........sort of a downer......I think they should at least offer a minimum amount of product, say 2/3. What I wanted to do would have required more than one pack. Just wanted anyone out there who has not ordered from there to be aware of limitation of daily special...........now I know......

Like many of you, I compare the postage to the cost of a trip to town: the gas used in driving 30 miles one way to the nearest hancock's (which doesn't have the same fabrics) and the inconvenience of getting dressed. Since I don't add my cost of the trip to town to cost of items I buy there, I don't add it to the cost of the ones I order. (which is one way of thinking of it), So $5.00 seems reasonable and convenient to me. Since they have the same postage no matter how much you buy, I usually add other needs/wants to the list. But I do see how you're thinking of it and if you're live close to stores them you going to the fabric stores anyway.
    jean

I remember feeling disappointed the first time I tried to order multiples of the daily deal but after thinking about it realized they couldn't stay in business if they let us all buy multiples at such a fantastic price!!! As I look through their shop I am stunned by the variety of merchandise they carry. Plus, Jenny's free videos are so amazing - we pay for that type of instruction on other sites so I figure I'm hopefully supporting them and keeping the videos free!
    Pat

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I buy the daily deal IF I need something else from them and I go down my list of items needed for quilting. I also have to have a "need" for the daily deal as well. Same way with buying the bolt ends.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I have no qualms about ordering from Missouri Star and paying the going rate. Jenny is so personable, it is easy to think of her as a friend. But we have to remember that this is her livelihood and she is responsible for all those others on her payroll. The $5 shipping is a plus, though, and I like getting the deal price and being careful about ordering other things. The fabric is always top notch and the service is delightful!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    I just wish they were not sold out by 8 AM my time. This happened to me on more than one occasion.
    Yep, I checked out their daily deals a couple times. I always buy more than one pack of charm squares because one is never enough. I found the limit of one, then when I went to order some other things, they were out of stock, so I have never bothered to go back to the daily deals. I do like her youtube tutes though.

Personally, I don't know anyone who got rich owning a quilt store. MSQC has done a fantastic job with their marketing and made themselves available to the anyone who finds them on the internet-GOOD JOB! But it still is a never-ending struggle to keep up with costs and payroll. One little charm pack at cost, multiplied by the number of folks who got the deal makes for a couple of hours of cost just packing and addressing the orders. Postage/shipping is very expensive. I don't think there's any room for criticism.
    One persons said it correctly...have a list ready and pay attention. Jump on the deal and then say THANK YOU!

Just got a note from MSQC in regard to shipping out of US....they said there is a glitch with the shipping when you place an order and they will refund extra back to you....have now asked what the shipping would be to Ontario...will get back to you..and gosh I think 5.00 is excellent shipping amount...
    I may be over the hill but I'm not under it LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    Personally, I don't know anyone who got rich owning a quilt store. MSQC has done a fantastic job with their marketing and made themselves available to the anyone who finds them on the internet-GOOD JOB! But it still is a never-ending struggle to keep up with costs and payroll. One little charm pack at cost, multiplied by the number of folks who got the deal makes for a couple of hours of cost just packing and addressing the orders. Postage/shipping is very expensive. I don't think there's any room for criticism.
    One persons said it correctly...have a list ready and pay attention. Jump on the deal and then say THANK YOU!
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing them at all. And I know it is impossible to keep a large inventory "just in case" a certain item may be wanted. I have about every notion known to man, so rarely need gadgets, etc. I know I should frequent her site more often, since I do enjoy her youtube videos. You can't give EVERYTHING away. I have had this happen on other sites too, so I just don't get around to getting back to them. I commend her on how well her business does, obviously she is doing something right, or she wouldn't still be around. We quilters tend to be fickle. We are all penny pinchers and are looking for a great deal, and we tend to forget that that vendor is a penny pincher too, out of necessity.

Several months ago I ordered the daily deal which after 10-12 days didn't receive so I called them. they said it shipped and I did receive it the next day. Then the next week I received a second order. I called them and they said to send it back. They even emailed me a shipping label. Due to life getting in the way....it is still sitting on the table. I keep forgetting to print the label and send back.

I love those deals and I agree, it is cheaper than my driving the hour to the nearest store. Plus it is fun. I really need to be more cautious and order more to offset the $5 but heck, I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
    I love those deals and I agree, it is cheaper than my driving the hour to the nearest store. Plus it is fun. I really need to be more cautious and order more to offset the $5 but heck, I am happy.
    Yeah, but you know, in almost every case you save more than $5 on the deal so it's still a good price even if that's all you get!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I will buy the daily deal and then buy some yardage from the fabric line to go with it for borders and sashing so I can make a complete quilt. That way, it makes it worth my money. I do that with every precut.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have never shopped the daily deal, actually didn't know about it until this thread, but $5 shipping sounds more than reasonable to me. I also feel like I 'owe' Jenny Doan, because without her 'free' tutorials, I probably would have not made my first quilt, or those wonderful little tube pillow cases. She does a great service to the quilting world so I would have no problem paying back. Now, I am going to go check out that daily deal thing.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I love the daily deal from Missouri Star even if I need to buy additional at regular price. I understand they are in business to make money. They are prompt in service and have good tutorials.

I love the daily deal, too, especially when they have a jelly roll that I want. Adding on from their deals of the week and anything else that I might need makes the shipping well worth it.
    Sheri (zkosh)
    Those who can, teach. Those who canít teach get into some less significant line of work.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    I just wish they were not sold out by 8 AM my time. This happened to me on more than one occasion.
    This has also happened to me a few times. I get a notice of the DD on my email. But sometimes when I looked it would already be sold out. I don't wait for the notice any longer I now look at their site at 9:00 P.M. my time (CA). They put the new DD on at 12:00 P.M. their time. I have not run into a sold out sign since I started doing this. I also try to purchase something else to go along with the DD. I think that the postage is reasonable. I do love their merchandise and I have always had super service. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    I get the Daily Deal and ALWAYS go in as a 'Daily Inspiration', but not only for the beautiful fabric suggestions - I LOVE the time they put into the little stories that personally apply to the Daily Deal.
    Ditto..Ditto..Ditto...... Thanks to all the staff for great services and the personal touch they include in every order

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2