Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaving a machine in AZ >

Leaving a machine in AZ

Leaving a machine in AZ

Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't worry if it was a mechanical machine. Just give it a good oiling before you stat using it again. You might ask the technician that maintains your machine what he thinks. I had my old Singer from the 70s & 80s store in a storage shed in Corona for almost 20 years and it was fine (but wasn't computerized).
Old 10-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Thank you for your great suggestions. I think I'll bring the Singer along and if it survives just fine, then I'll probably get myself a Baby Lock or a Brother to leave there. Who doesn't love test driving a new sewing machine! Anyone have a preferred dealer in the Mesa/South Phoenix area?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

This is what I would do. If you can ask a neighbor or even a guild member you may beclose with.
Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
You don't say which part of Arizona you winter in which may be part of the consideration. I'm in the Phoenix area and this year we didn't have as many hot days (110 and up) as other years but we did have a mostly hot, humid days with lots of rain and thunderstorms. Two other issues to consider, lots of area flooded this year that normally do not and as you probably already know, Arizona is very, very dusty. Since you are shutting off the power in summer, temperatures could be pretty high within the appartment with the possibility of some pretty high humidity as well. Perhaps when you arrive you could contact one of the shops with good repair technicians about the situation and what they would recommend. My other suggestion would be to make friends with a permanent resident and make arrangements to leave a machine with them.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:12 PM

If it's a machine with a mother board in it, don't do it. If it's something like a FW, then you will be ok. Computerized machines do not do as well in the heat, because I have lived in AZ and in the summer it can be well over 115.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a few "stored" in hot places old machines. I recommend storing it in a case. Maybe you can find a mid century painted machine - the old black machines including the featherweight have shellac finish and that finish will crack from extreme temp variations. When you store it have it cleaned and oiled. Don't store thread in the bobbin - well at least around here. Another suggestion would be to buy a vintage high end machine locally when you get there. You can always resell it when you leave and buy something else next year. There are people who refurb machines and sell them on Craigslist and if you watch you could find something but you might ask if they have refurbished it - some don't advertise that they have been refurbished.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 AM

I leave my HV SE here in Mesa all year. In the summer we set the AC to 90d and it seems to do fine. It does get very dusty here so I suggest making sure it is covered well. I just cleaned mine yesterday and it had a lot of fine dust on it. Our AC broke one year and when I came down to check on our place the temp was over 120d inside the house. I don't know how long the house had been at that temp, but it took over a week to fix.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:30 AM

I would highly recommend Mulqueens in Mesa (Val Vista and Main) to purchase or service a machine. The carry Brother, Janome, Phaff, and Juki. You can't beat them for price or service plus with the purchase of a machine you get a 'Perks' card for store discounts which is a huge help as they have a fantastic stock of quilting/sewing supplies and machine embroidery. For BabyLock, 35th Ave Sew and Vac. They have 2 locations; Chandler (Rural and Ray) and Northern (59th and Northern). They have a huge, huge selection of fabric. If you winter in this area you really should get to know both stores - they are great! We have many other great quilting shops as well but these are the major machine dealers. If I can be of further assistance feel free to PM me!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 AM

I used to live in Phoenix (48-1/2 years worth!!) and I would never leave the electricity turned off entirely during the summer - for any reason. I agree with those saying to set your a/c up around 90 or so at the highest. I remember many, many days when the temperature never went below 100, so,even when there are less above 100 days, it still gets ***** hot! This past summer was kind of strange with all the dust storms, etc.- used to have lots of them way back,in the olden days😄😄

We have the opposite - we inherited my in-laws house in upstate New York (Fulton County) and we leave the heat set about 55 so nothing freezes, including my mother-in-law's old Singer 66.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:56 PM

I have left my Jenome in Texas several years with no problem
Old 10-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
I would highly recommend Mulqueens in Mesa (Val Vista and Main) to purchase or service a machine. The carry Brother, Janome, Phaff, and Juki. You can't beat them for price or service plus with the purchase of a machine you get a 'Perks' card for store discounts which is a huge help as they have a fantastic stock of quilting/sewing supplies and machine embroidery. For BabyLock, 35th Ave Sew and Vac. They have 2 locations; Chandler (Rural and Ray) and Northern (59th and Northern). They have a huge, huge selection of fabric. If you winter in this area you really should get to know both stores - they are great! We have many other great quilting shops as well but these are the major machine dealers. If I can be of further assistance feel free to PM me!
Mulqueens is terrific. Love their employees too. I have Baby Lock from my local dealer in the Prescott Valley area. I've heard both good and bad about 35th Ave. They do have a huge fabric area. I've only bought fabric from Mulqueens when they come up for our quilt shows and they have screaming prices. When I get to Phx area it's to see my 2 sons so no time for quilt shopping.