Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lectures >

Lectures

Lectures

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 PM

Through a thread about quilting designers here on the board I became aware of something interesting: some quilt teachers also offers lectures where they talk about their quilting career, how they developed their skills etc. They bring their work and answer questions of the audience.
Have you ever attended such a lecture? Can you tell me about your experience? I've never seen such offers here in Germany...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 AM

I have attended some of these lectures (not only about quilts but clothing) and sometimes you can learn a lot -- other times not so much!! However, I think it's the "hands on" ones that I remember the most! :D
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 AM

I do know that some professional teachers travel to Europe and lecture there. Try a search on the web for local quilt groups and their activities or search professional quilters that you like and look at the schedules.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 AM

I recently purchased a book by an award winning quilter. She is British. Her quilts are amazing and I was expecting not details or patterns, but a little more ideas on how to make the original designs. Instead it was a recollection of useless information about her design room, snap shots of her quilts and in general, information that you can get cheaper in any other quilting book. If I go to a trunk show I would expect this kind of things, but after attending the Ricky Tims Seminar, I have a high standard to measure lecturers. Is the only class I ever attended where I did no sewing but learned a lot.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Through a thread about quilting designers here on the board I became aware of something interesting: some quilt teachers also offers lectures where they talk about their quilting career, how they developed their skills etc. They bring their work and answer questions of the audience.
Have you ever attended such a lecture? Can you tell me about your experience? I've never seen such offers here in Germany...
There's a quilter here that I believe is of German heritage. She's the author of "Mother Earth and Her children" the book version of the winning quilt of the same name. Her name is Seiglinde Shoen Smith. She's a lovely person, and has a very special story about the quilt. Don't know if she gets back to Germany at all, but it might be worth trying to contact her.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 PM

I have never been to one.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Pam

I have attended several and always found them entertaining as well as very useful. If anyone has a chance to attend one I would highly recommend it. Besides that, most quilters could stand up and do a comedy show anyday of the week!