Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LED Light Boxes for Tracing Applique Shapes >

LED Light Boxes for Tracing Applique Shapes

LED Light Boxes for Tracing Applique Shapes

Old 12-25-2015, 03:36 AM

If you only need small pieces there is an iPad app for a lightbox. Works pretty well.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:44 AM

My neighbor uses her sewing machine table made of plexiglas. Then she simply puts a small sewing lamp under the table. That gives lots of room under the glass and she can target the light. Works for her.

Me, I received a gift of wine many years ago that came in a wooden box with a slide out cover. I cut a piece of plexiglass the size of the wood cover. with a string of christmas lights or a flashlight, of a size and style that works, inside. It works for me and reminds me of the gift giver every time I use it too!

Last edited by Grammahunt; 12-25-2015 at 07:45 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-26-2015, 05:08 PM

I use a small step stool upside down with a piece of glass over the feet and a trouble light laid inside it works just great
Old 12-31-2015, 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I will definitely check out the Crayola box (although I think I want larger than 8 1/2 x 11 size) and the Autograph box.

I plan to use the box to trace applique pattern pieces. Can't use the large living room window anymore (furniture in front of it...I know dumb place to put furniture...it is a deacon's bench), and using the glass in the storm door may work in summer, but brrrrr....too cold at this time of year.

Thanks again for the ideas. Will have DH look at them and if he doesn't "buy" me a box, maybe he'll cobble one together for me!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:23 PM

My brother made mine. At Lowes, I bought that light-weight board (i forgot the name of it), the plexiglass, bright, energy-saving bulbs, screws, and small piano hinge for opening and closing the box. He cut everything to my measurements and specs. It is bright, light-weight and works beautifully and cheap. I store it on the shelf in the closet...
Old 12-31-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have one of those flip-open Ott lights. I also have a good sized piece of plexiglass and some plastic shoe boxes. I put two shoe boxes upside down on my cutting table, balance the plexiglass on top of the shoe boxes and put the Ott light in its open format underneath the plexiglass, between the shoe boxes. I like it in that it is larger than most light boxes I could buy, I can move the Ott light around under the shoe boxes to get optimal light, it doesn't take up additional room in my studio, and I didn't have to buy anything.
I'm with you Dunster, I have a light I bought from Jenny Byers online store that lays out flat, plexiglass held up by 2 blocks of wood Hubby cut for me- Same piece of plexiglass I use to audition quilting designs on my tops- easy to set up & put away, very little cost.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 PM

I have done a lot of applique and never needed a light box to trace the applique patterns. I use the back of a cookie sheet and tape white paper all over the the back surface. A piece of plywood or any hard surface would work. For some reason the white paper behind the pattern makes the black pattern lines show through well for tracing. If you are tracing on a fabric darker than the tone on tone neutrals I have used for applique background or fusibles, a light box would be necessary.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:27 PM

Got one of the old ones years ago from Joannes. I used a 50% or 60% coupon.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
Another option is to use an enclosed shower door with the light in the shower turned on.
You have a light in your shower! How cool is that!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:15 AM

You can get a shadow/keep sake type clear box at Joann's or hobby lobby put a batteries light or drill small hole and use one with light with plug. This will works. You can make box (side and bottom) out of scrap wood and have a piece of acrylic cut at hardware for the top and put any size light you need in it. There are many cheep way to make "light boxes" that will work. I use my window most of time to trace, but some times need to sit down or it is night out. I like to do thing as cheep as possible because I an retired and have little money to spend. The more money I can save on stuff like this, The more money I have to buy fabric.