Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: LED lights

LED lights

I'm thinking of changing all of my lights in my quilt room to LED because they are so much brighter. Anybody know how these affect fabric? The man that does this says it's the heat that is the problem with florescents but I'm not sure that is the whole story.
    JENELL

LED lights are bright, cool to touch, and very very economical to run.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of any lights fading fabric, just the sun.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had LEDs in my sewing room ( & most of the House) for a few years now. I’ve not noticed any issues concerning my fabrics or anything in the sewing room due to the lighting. They stay cool which is nice- especially in the summer when having numerous lights on can really up the temperature in a room. My longarm has a bank of leds too. I love having leds. They last for years, which is nice.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

We have changed almost all the lights or the light bulbs in our house including exterior ones. It does save money overall.

I don't tolerate the ones with the blue tint well and need the warm color ones. Be sure to check the numbers.

This is an uneducated opinion - I think that a fabric that is exposed to any lights over a long period of time will fade. Having said that, about the only time most of my fabrics are exposed to light is when I am cutting, piecing or quilting them.

Florescent lights have mercury, which is toxic to humans, in them. That is one of the reason that they have to be handled so gingerly when transporting them or changing them.

LED lights, on the other hand, can be disposed of like an incandescent light because they contain no harmful chemicals.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Found this on superbrightleds.com : https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...versal-finder/
    Unless an LED is specifically infrared (IR) or ultraviolet (UV), it produces little to no IR or UV radiation, which can be damaging to fabrics and artwork.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    I had all LEDs installed in my new sewing studio and love them. I do get a lot of sunlight through the many windows so I keep my fabric behind closed doors.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billswife99 View Post
    I'm thinking of changing all of my lights in my quilt room to LED because they are so much brighter. Anybody know how these affect fabric? The man that does this says it's the heat that is the problem with florescents but I'm not sure that is the whole story.
    Look for "Daylight bulbs" it was a game changer for me. Beautiful white, not yellow, glow. Wal Mart sells them. A lot of quilters use them back east because they sew in the basement where lighting isn't the best.

Just a caution on using ‘daylight’. These light sources are in the 5000 degree Calvin range which is very cool. Most retail LED sources are 3500 - 4000 and old style incandescent was around 2700. Colour temperature does effect how colour is rendered and so consider where the quilts will be used. Most people would never use daylight sources in their home because of the way it renders colour....particularly skin tones. If you are a pasty white chick like me you don’t ever want to look in a mirror where daylight sources are being used! Anyway to each their own but I would advise trying one before you change everything to daylight. One more note is that if you live in a northern climate, warmer colour temperatures are recommended......strictly from a psychological standpoint!

I love daylight tone in my sewing room. I use the 100 watt equivalent bulbs. It has made a tremendous difference. I put the same bulbs in my dining room chandelier. Six 100 watt equivalent bulbs. It is glorious. I use the warmer color bulbs in my living room and bedrooms because of decor. Bright white in the kitchen and breakfast room. I've not noticed any skin tones being off, everyone looks like they always do.

The man that does this says it's the heat that is the problem with florescents
    An incandescent bulb becomes too hot to touch soon after you turn it on.A fluorescent bulb, on the other hand, takes several minutes to warmup, and never feels really hot

Get a new man.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have LED lights throughout the house and they sure are nice and bright. In fact, I just bought a feather weight and the seller had put an LED light bulb in and it is nice. I love it. I have never heard of LED lights fading fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I got "day light" bulbs years ago but they gave off a soft blue light. Didn't like those. here, my son put in LED ones for me. world of difference. but then, he loves LED's.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I too switched all the fluorescent bulbs in my house over to LED's I Love them. Yes fluorescent lights Do over time fade fabric. I didn't know that at the time I had them installed, but All my blubs are now leds and yes cheaper light bill and no heat from them - which might be a drawback to the northerners in the winter; helps keep the room warm, but I love mine. Good luck. I don't think you'll be sorry.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-12-2019 at 04:33 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

We're slowing changing to LED's throughout our home. Love them.
    I bought one for my Featherweight and it's really nice. Actually I bought 2 as they have 2 different kinds and like them both.

The only drawback to LED lighting used all the time, especially at night can cause sleep problems.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.