Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left handed--Hand Quilting >

Left handed--Hand Quilting

Left handed--Hand Quilting

Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Left handed--Hand Quilting

I have started doing hand quilting and found I love it! BUT..I am left handed, not having any trouble going in a straight line, but when I get to a circle or angle, I'm stuck. I have to turn the whole quilt around to get started again. Any tricks or suggestions to make it a little easier? How do you do feathers without having to "stand on your head?" Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Hello Glenda. I am also lefthanded. I am guessing that you have the quilt in a frame. I have a medium sized frame that I use from time to time, but all I have ever tried is straight lines. Whenever I need to do any kind of curves, I get out my hoop. I know that it takes a lot of effort to constantly move the little hoop, but I get great results.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:51 PM

I hand quilt in a frame, and learned to use my thumb to quilt in other directions. It took some practice but now it's second nature.

Janet
Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
I have started doing hand quilting and found I love it! BUT..I am left handed, not having any trouble going in a straight line, but when I get to a circle or angle, I'm stuck. I have to turn the whole quilt around to get started again. Any tricks or suggestions to make it a little easier? How do you do feathers without having to "stand on your head?" Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Pick your sides-- find the spot that works best. One of best quilters at church is a 96 year old Army nurse.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Pick your sides-- find the spot that works best. One of best quilters at church is a 96 year old Army nurse.
Make that a 98 year old LEF HANDED Army nurse
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM

I'm a left handed quilter too. It sounds like you have a quilt hoop. Sometimes turning the hoop allows you to continue in the direction that is most comfortable for you. I have a lap frame and a floor frame. With my floor frame there is no moving that frame around to move things around. What I do when quilting circles or feathers is to only take two stitches at a time until I just can't go any further. I might then resort to doing a stab stitch to complete the element but usually I will stop at the point things get to "standing on my head" and attack that element from another angle. I can say that practice with those "standing on your head" areas will make things a bit easier down the road.