Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left over batting >

Left over batting

Left over batting

Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 PM

Many in my guild has long arm machines. Bags of batting strips are brought to guild meetings for the free table. I am never without batting strips if I need any and honestly I have never needed more then a few.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:38 AM

Good ideas all, I also cut them to use with my "swiffer" as cleaning pads. The batting catches dust easily and when dampened with a light soapy solution make good mopping tools. I don't feel bad tossing after one use because it is already a re-purposed product.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 AM

Yep, and they work great
Old 08-26-2019, 04:07 AM

I cut them into squares and make fun and done quilts. They are a quilt as you go type of quilt with a certain size block.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Batting strips are my favourite method for doing placemats. I think I posted about them on QB? You stitch and flip fabric scraps down batting strips. You then trim them straight and piece the strips together with I inch sashing. After you have the strips and sashing all pieced together to the placemat size you want, you put a back on and top stitch down the sashing strips (because the scraps on the batting are already stitched) and bind the placemat.
p.s. The tutorial on QB is under the title -Scrap Buster and I posted it for hot pads but I have used the same method, only bigger for placemats.
I went to the tutorials on QB and it only shows 11 - and not yours. Darn!!!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I went to the tutorials on QB and it only shows 11 - and not yours. Darn!!!
Here is a link to Tartan's tut Scrap Buster
Old 08-26-2019, 05:32 AM

I cut my batting scraps (I'm a longarmer and have long narrow strips left from quilting) into 2 1/4" strips and make jelly roll rugs. I use my leftover binding strips or cut up ugly fabric into strips. One of my favorite rugs is one I made out of a panel I knew I'd never use.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:33 AM

Lots of people are making the jelly roll rugs. They use strips of batting inside.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 AM

I too re-use my batting strips. I usually wait until I have a pretty big bag of batting scraps, set aside some time and zig zag them together. I make 20" wide batting strips and as long as possible. They make excellent table runner battings. I then re-use those "new" scraps by cutting into very small pieces. Those small pieces go into a garbage can lined with a pillowcase. Once it is full, I sew off the pillowcase and have a doggy pillow. I use them for my critters but once I have enough for all, I'll start donating those pillows. It is filled with nothing but small cotton fabric and batting. I pretty much try to use everything.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:57 AM

For the really small pieces I'll use them for placemats or in wallhangings, pillows. For larger/longer pieces I'll piece them together using batting tape to use them on quilts. Just did that the other day as I'd miscut for a larger quilt so had to cut another piece to fit. The miscuts were then pieced together to fit for yet another quilt waiting to be quilted. I love it when things go together even though you goofed up at the beginning.