Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Less then Traditional quilt method >

Less then Traditional quilt method

Less then Traditional quilt method

Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I used Thermore batting, what Charlie recommends. I corrected the volcano effect but now have a small hole where the center meets. Which is okay, a yo yo or button will cover it.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
perhaps you could iron them folded over flat where they belong before sewing. That might help. http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/11/...y-playmat.html
Thanks for this link. I love Amy Gibson's patterns & techniques. I think I'll have to try this.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 AM

I am thinking of trying this as a baby quilt, but am concerned about the weight. I took a class many years ago on making a cathedral window but we did not use batting. The instructor said batting made it to heavy. Opinions on this please.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 AM

The method I learned with this has you cutting the batting into the square shape and inserting it after you turn the circle right side out, then you are stitching on fabric only, and it is easier to get the flaps to lay flat. The one I saw was called a "Tortilla Quilt". I saw it on a sewing show but don't know which or when, sorry.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

The quilt is coming together pretty good now. I'll post a picture when finished. Even if the prep work takes some time I like the fact that it is all finished when I sew the last circle. I think with some tweaking I can get the method to be better. I see a lot of table toppers made, ready for gifting when needed.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 AM

I saw something similar, same concept, on Kaye Wood with guest Cheryl Phillips. Hers was the double wedding ring and after you made the circle then you added the 12 inch sq. of material and batting and quilted that as desired. Then sewed 2 circles together on that drawn line and ironed the flaps down. Was that all as clear as mud? It was pretty cool, on my bucket list.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by arleen View Post
I saw something similar, same concept, on Kaye Wood with guest Cheryl Phillips. Hers was the double wedding ring and after you made the circle then you added the 12 inch sq. of material and batting and quilted that as desired. Then sewed 2 circles together on that drawn line and ironed the flaps down. Was that all as clear as mud? It was pretty cool, on my bucket list.
That is the Rings That Bind method. It makes a Double Wedding Ring Quilt. I have made a small quilt using that method. It's almost the same but not exactly. What I learned doing these type of quilts is the prep work has to be precise. That makes all the difference.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:42 PM

Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt demonstrated the 'Circle Magic' method to make the faux Cathedral Window. I have used this template to make the this same method twice with great results. It appears that it is the same technique.

I don't know how price compares, it appears that the acrylic template is more substantial than what Quilter's Haven round templates are, looks like the same type acrylic though for the 1/4 rounds...however she (Quilter's Haven) gives options to different sizes so I guess it's just boils down to price....anyway look at Jenny's tutorial from a few years ago, that is when I bought the 'Circle Magic' from her site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKvdrexKE4

Last edited by onaemtnest; 06-28-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM

I have use Charlie's method several times...very easy and happy with the results.
Accuquilt has a circle die and cuts the edges for a rag quilt. Can hardly wait to get this die.

Tuckie in CO