Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lesson Learned-Not Enough Fabric >

Lesson Learned-Not Enough Fabric

Lesson Learned-Not Enough Fabric

Old 09-16-2023, 10:18 AM

That is one of the reasons I like to scrap up my background with projects like that, using assorted nuetral squares instead of all the same fabric. That way even if I do run short, it's not a big deal to get more.

Right now I do most of my shopping in my stash, and I rarely have enough of any one fabric with enough yardage for background is there is a lot needed.

Another option I"ll use is to do a gradient look, either from top to bottom, or from the center working out.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:44 PM

even if you bought a bolt of background eventaully you'd still be down to a yard or two.
Like Macybaby, that's why I like scrappy, I never run out of anything

Amazing quilt though!
Old 09-16-2023, 04:27 PM

Yep I am in that dilemma at the moment. I am short about 1 yard and can't find more. I don't know enough about the fabric to trace more down. So I am going to sash what I have to make a whole quit. I guess I learned a good lesson.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:52 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. Why not fill the top right corner (where the background is missing) and bottom left corner (where you could remove some background) with squares from the fabrics that make up the seashell - like a partial frame? You could put some going across and some down in the corners and it would look like part of the design.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:35 AM

Our local quilt stores offer 15% off if you buy what is left on the bolt. Great for the scrappy quilters who like variety and especially good when you buy a whole or almost whole bolt.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
Your quilt is beautiful. Why not fill the top right corner (where the background is missing) and bottom left corner (where you could remove some background) with squares from the fabrics that make up the seashell - like a partial frame? You could put some going across and some down in the corners and it would look like part of the design.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Create a frame upper right and/or bottom left to go along with the shell. Maybe a water look like it's at the shore.