Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality >

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Very thought provoking. From now on I will look for the quality fabric no matter what store I am in and buy that. Also I will remember there is good and bad in all the stores that sell fabric and will check the fabric itself before I buy. I will remember the ultimate responsibility for buying quality fabric is up to ME!!! Thank you for your post.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I get exhausted reading the posts bashing stores for the quality of their fabric.
Instead.....lets teach how to determine the quality of fabric.
Fabric quality/availability has changed in the past couple years. Factories have closed; base fabric is being made almost exclusively overseas and it is becoming difficult (I imagine) for our favorite companies to get the quality they want. Lets face it, we may never have the quality and price we became accustomed to in the past.
I wanted to make a quilt using 6 different prints in shades and patterns in PINK. The quilt was being given for use as a throw on a couch and the circumstances were that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the fabric.
The only place I could find the fabric at a price I could afford was at the chain fabric store.
Within the 6 fabrics, there was a distinct difference in the feel of each fabric. However, after washing, ironing, sewing and cutting - the final product was certainly satisfactory. I have old quilts that were used, washed and used for years; have differences in quality and being all cotton are still good. Faded but still holding up.
I saw an interview recently on tv in which the interviewee said "We may not be able to control the circumstances but we can control how we react to them". Or something like that.

So.......all this is to say.

We have to live with the current fabric situation.
We have to be able to make our own decision about using the fabric that is available and the price we can pay.
And I would hope stop saying "only fabric available at certain sources" should be used in our quilts. Rather, advise other quilters about those circumstances to watch in using various qualities.

I like to remember to "respect the nature of the fabric" and act accordingly.

I hope no one takes offense to my rambling this morning. I try never to tell my students or other quilters that they are wrong but rather advise based on my experiences how they might react to the situation and the end results.
I don't understand why this couldn't be added to the current thread about Joannes fabric quality and why a new thread on it if you are exhausted by the fabric bashing? Do we really need two ongoing threads about this? Just sayin'.....

Those who prefer to buy LQS fabric are called snobs and those that don't buy from their LQS get offended and feel judged. Hurt feelings all around and really nothing good comes from the threads. IMO.

Last edited by Candace; 12-09-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 AM

I agree with you Candace, nothing good comes from these kinds of threads. It's hit or miss wherever and however we shop. I also didn't see any educational advice offered ;-)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

kudos! you have put it into perspective!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Thank you, thank you for saying so well what I have felt for some time.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM

just like everything else.... there is good quality in "name brands" and there is poor quality in " name brands".
I pick up the best fabrics where I can at the best prices I can.....
Many of my fabrics are donated at well... ( Bless everyone that donates fabrics to my American Veterans Project!!)
I have received some fabrics that were not of the best qualities... or prehaps were repurposed and have small stains.... I put those a side to use as foundation fabrics for crazy quilt blocks and for practicing FMQ.... rarely does ANYTHING go to waste....... I even save my crumbs/clippings/threads for stuffings for soft toys for the little ones....
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Very nice post, Holice..... your points were well stated. I appreciate posts like this which are not focused on negativity, but instead promote common sense.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Good for you Holice! As my mother used to say, "You say it while I pat my foot!" I too buy from anywhere that I like the look and feel of the fabric which includes Walmart, Hobby Lobby, my local LQS and online (although I've been fooled shopping online because the colors on my monitor didn't match the actual fabrics).
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Thank you! You stated it very well..
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM

What were those well loved quilts made of years ago? Certainly not $12 a yd fabric from a LQS. Please just use whatever you like and make whatever you can afford. No need to make people feel bad about their choices. I won't be here in 50 yrs or even maybe tomorrow so why get too serious about it.