Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lifespan of a cutting mat?

I have several mats. I do my work on a ping pong table and I have four "stations" set up at the four quadrants of the table. Three of them are Olfa's, and one is some other brand that I can't remember. It was the first one I bought when I went back to sewing some five years ago. It doesn't seem to be "healing" any more, but the Olfa's are all going strong.

I found out that crocus cloth is a type of sandpaper type product--on a cloth background. That will not take all the big bubbles/warp out of my mat. Any other suggestions?

I have read in a blog elsewhere that putting your warped cutting board on a
    dark asphalt driveway when the weather is over 90 can correct the warp.
    I hope so - I just put mine outside at 2 pm and will see how it works and let you
    know. It sounds too easy but I hate to have to spend so much money on a new one. I use the 24 x 36" Olfa mat. If I have to buy new, I use my 40% off coupon at JoAnne's and that helps soften the blow....-Judy

I have the large 36X30 and love it. Have a small 12x12 that I use at the side of my machine when I need to cut peices that have just been sewn and pressed. The worst thing that can be done to a mat is to accidently expose it to the heat from the iron (had my pressing station sitting on it, bad idea). It warped and could not be straightened out, so I cut it into smaller boards to use at classes etc. Also they make great templates, just cut with a straight edge ruler and a utility knife.

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that you have to check the thickness (mils?). The thinner ones are the kind that don't stand up. I think, but I'm not sure, that they should 6 mils. You can tell by the feel of it compared to a thin one.

Power Poster
    I use it for as long as I can. When it starts to distort my cutting then it is time for a new one. I actually have about 5 cutting mats. All diffrent and all used at diffrent times so I think I've only had to replace one.

Dee
    I use a plastic scrubber every so often to clean it off. I have three and change off. Read about the scrubber on another site long ago.

JoAnn's it was on sale for 40% off

Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    they do dry out, get brittle to the point they will almost snap in half. Lots of cut lines showing and your cutter will skip and you have those little threads that didn't get cut. I have started writting the date on all my new ones. They do wear out, and will dull your rotart blade. Mine are used ALOT so that may explain my take that they do wear out. I wait for 40% off sales or coupons.
    Just purchased a Fiskers and LOVE it so far, blade seems to glide over it. Will have to see how it holds up, AND it is reversable with lines:)
    Oooh, where did you get it ?

to take the warping out of your mat... lay it flat in the driveway or cement patio on a hot day let the sun do the work if the warping isn't bad that should work. or what I have done with my badly warped one is put it in the jaguzzi, taken it out after couple of hours and put piece of plywood on it on the floor and weighed it down with some old phone books i had and a small table up side down on it . That was 11 years ago and it is still going strong. I thought I would at least try cause I couldn't use it the way it was anyway. I was just happy it worked.

Blog Entries
    I've got one of those big green mats and have had it for over 20 years. It has a couple of of cracks on the ends buyt otherwise in good shape. I think the cracks were cause by me standing it on end in storage . Live and learn.

Thanks Judy! I hope it works. It will be a long time before it is 90 here in Johannesburg, South Africa. We're just going into Spring. But I will keep it in mind. Ginger

I have been using my mat for the past 16 years I rotate
    my mat by one corner and then I clean it on The Monday after mothers dy and christmas time that way I know I have done it . To me it is like your sewing machine look after it and it will serve you well .

Blog Entries
    I use my mats for a good long time! It definitely helps to rotate and flip them! I just bought a new mat, the one I was using got relegated to cutting curved pieces (curved cuts don't heal as well) and batting. My old-old mat got cut up for purse bottoms and "mini-mats" for chenille cutting.

Thanks! I'm going to try that! Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by irenecarter
    I've got one of those big green mats and have had it for over 20 years. It has a couple of of cracks on the ends buyt otherwise in good shape. I think the cracks were cause by me standing it on end in storage . Live and learn.
    Mine were bowing from standing them on end. I now hang them on pant hangers. One is hanging on my pegboard and one on a nail in a door .

Hi - I left my cutting mat out in 92 on our dark asphalt driveway. It was quite warm when I brought it inside after an hour, but the warp was still there.
    I put a piece of plywood on it and stacked on some large dictionaries and left it overnight. It is improved but still has a ripple along the warped edge.
    Judy

Last Christmas I got a new ruler and mat. I was thrilled! Haven't used either one yet - saving them for "good". Maybe in another 5 years I'll think about it. They are on my table just in case someone actually looks to see if I'm using them, but gosh, they are so pretty that keep them for "good".

Not sure just how old mine is, No cuts all the way through, never thought about it having a life. Whenever I cut all the way through it I will just replace it. I love the big one and use it the most. I have three different sizes and a new 71" turntable one.

I also have a couple of the thick green mats. Love them. Then bought a huge June Tailor mat and really don't like it. It's hard and slippery. I don't feel I have as much control over my cutting with it. So I stick with the old green ones. They're my personal favorites!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have had mine for over 25 yrs and am still using it, granted it needs replacing, but that just is not going to happen. God bless. Penny

Wonderful idea. I never would have thought of that. Thanks

I have had several mats because they wear out. I had 3 and the same reason as bluestarmom except another reason was my heart. I could not afford another child as the strain on my heart could make things bad. I have had about 4 cutters with a lot of blades.I think the mats I have seem to make the blade go blunt real quick. I did once have a mat that would heal itself but I gave it to my daughter years ago. since then I must have had 6 mats in 10 years because they do not last the distance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2