Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Light box >

Light box

Light box

Old 09-04-2016, 05:40 AM

I have heard wonderful things about the Huion at amazon. I took an embroidery class and the instructor had this one, loved it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0UUHPO?psc=1
Old 09-04-2016, 05:47 AM

I bought a small cheap fluorescent light and out it inside a plastic box and use it for a light box. works fine I plan to top it with plexiglass when I remember to buy it.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 AM

I still plan on buying one rather than making one but I'm curious - everyone says put a glass on top of something, lasagna dish, spaghetti cans, open table, and then put a light under it. But then what? How do you get the pattern onto the fabric? I've embroidered before but have never done this method nor have I seen it done so am a bit clueless.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:55 AM

Purchased light boxes are very simple, no instructions needed. Plug in, turn on.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:44 AM

MeadowMist, the premise is pretty simple, but I'll try to break it down in a way that's not too "wordy". LOL

It's based on tracing. So you have your pattern or design on paper. Lay your fabric over it and trace the lines. Without a light source underneath, it's rather hard to see those lines through your fabric. Where fabric is flimsy, you want something sturdy to support your paper and fabric, so that's where the glass comes in.

People use cans, books or such to have something to set the glass onto. It needs to be elevated, since you can't set it directly on a light source (imagine setting your piece of glass directly on a flashlight or lamp...it wouldn't work) Think of it like making a miniature glass table, giving you the space underneath to set your light source.

Another inexpensive method is taping your paper design onto a sunny window and placing your fabric over it and tracing away. That way you are using the sun as your light source.

Make sure you use a washable medium to mark onto your fabric, because your stitching is not necessarily going to cover the lines completely. And note that this method only works on light colored fabrics. To trace onto dark fabrics, you'd need the prick and pounce method.

Here's a great link for embroidery tips. Scroll down the page to "transferring patterns".

http://www.needlenthread.com/tips-techniques

I hope that helps!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:52 AM

I'm working on an applique quilt right now and have finished all the blocks; am now stitching around each piece (very time consuming). Anyhoooo; (blocks are 17 inches sq.), I used the back storm door for my light box and it worked very well for me. lol. I taped the pattern and then my fabric and traced away. I have also used a scrapbook plastic box that I store fabric, etc., and put a battery operated light inside the box and put pattern/fabric on top and that worked okay too, but it wasn't big enough for this project.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 AM

Natalie, that is a great source for a limited experience embroiderer like me!! Thank you!
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Natalie, that is a great source for a limited experience embroiderer like me!! Thank you!
My pleasure! Her how to videos are great also. She really explains stitches very well.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 AM

My husband made me one with a small flourescent light. I don't know if you have anyone who is carpenter handy, but that is an option.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Mine came from Hobby Lobby with a 40percent off coupon. I love it!