Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light Box

Light Box

Other than using a clear box with an LED flashlight inside, what type/brand of light box do you use or recommend? Thank you!

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Ok, I use an old piece of glass which I put a lamp behind. It works.

About a year ago I purchased an LED light pad thru Amazon. The brand was "Lite Energy" it is very thin and measures 26 x 19 1/2. I think I paid about $125. For it. It is used regularly and I haven't had any problems with it.
    I made a quilted bag for it ( with batting and all) so I can slide it in and keep it in decent shape out of the way of dust and dirt. I highly recommend it. The light pad has 2 light settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakkity View Post
    About a year ago I purchased an LED light pad thru Amazon. The brand was "Lite Energy" it is very thin and measures 26 x 19 1/2. I think I paid about $125. For it. It is used regularly and I haven't had any problems with it.
    I made a quilted bag for it ( with batting and all) so I can slide it in and keep it in decent shape out of the way of dust and dirt. I highly recommend it. The light pad has 2 light settings.
    Thank you, can it be charged & used w/o chord?

You don't need anything fancy ..... save your $$$ for fabric!

I have an old drawer and a piece of 1/4" plexi that I lay on top, with the flashlights inside.
    Or you could even straddle the plexi over an in-use drawer.

Before I had my "set-up" I put a flashlight under the see-thru surround of my sewing machine.
    Worked fine for smaller things. Actually, I still do it that way when small, to save getting the other out.

You can actually use one of your cutting rulers/squares instead of buying plexi.
    Works in a pinch, but to me, I am too worried that it might snap from pressing on it, as I trace.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    i use the glass storm door and a little scotch tape
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    I went to Walmart and purchased the children's Crayola light box a couple of years ago. It is about 12X8 bright surface for tracing. I love it for doing my Redwork patterns. It cost about $15 I think after Christmas.

Like Tartan I use the crayola light box.........works great!!!
    Lisa

Banned
    Piece of 16" square plexiglass set across my quilt frame rails with a lamp under. Just the right height.

Thank you. I'm looking for something I can take to a class

Blog Entries
    I made a wooden box with plexiglass top and mini Christmas lights threaded into pegboard.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neuras View Post
    Thank you. I'm looking for something I can take to a class
    The drawer I described would work perfectly.
    Solid at a minimal cost .... and you could pack all you need to take to the class into it.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I use the clear square scrapbook cases and the little folding ott lite. Use the box to carry supplies and make it do double duty to become the light box.

Blog Entries
    I used to only do the homemade one. This past year I won one made by Daylight. It is great, has a nice hue to it and can dim to bright and best thing ever, its unbreakable. Honestly, the owners demonstrate them jumping on it. Its very thin so it takes up little space as far as thickness goes, its only less than an 1in thick. The company is great to work with. I won a different light, it came to me on Friday in the mail, it was broken (accidents happen) but by the time I got home from work on Monday, a new one was at my front door. No, they aren't a local company. I say that is great customer service. Just google daylight company. they have lights for all lighting needs.
    Judy

I don't remember where I bought my light box. possibly walmart.But I know Hobby Lobby has them on sale right now for 11.99,not sure what brand but it looks a lot like mine.

If you only need a small light box, there is a light box app for the iPad that works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by daisydawg View Post
    I don't remember where I bought my light box. possibly walmart.But I know Hobby Lobby has them on sale right now for 11.99,not sure what brand but it looks a lot like mine.
    what does it look like or brand?

Power Poster
    Here is Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  256.7 KBthe box for my Crayola light box

Power Poster
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  182.3 KBHere is the actual light box with a piece of computer paper on top

I took a class at the Houston quilt festival and on the supply list was light box. I had read on this board about the Crayola toy, purchased one on Amazon,and took it. During the class it quickly became evident the toy didn't give off enough light. The teacher shared her light box, but I got behind and wasn't able to finish our project for the class.

It may work for most people, it just didn't work for me then.

I see a lot of these on Amazon.com that are not expensive and have good reviews. As soon as the day comes where I need one, that is what I will do.

Blog Entries
    Mine came from Hobby Lobby. It was a gift and I love it but before that I used a lap under my glass breakfast room table and it worked just fine.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
    I took a class at the Houston quilt festival and on the supply list was light box. I had read on this board about the Crayola toy, purchased one on Amazon,and took it. During the class it quickly became evident the toy didn't give off enough light. The teacher shared her light box, but I got behind and wasn't able to finish our project for the class.

It may work for most people, it just didn't work for me then.

Oh No, you must have gotten a defective one. I have the Crayola one and it's very bright. I can use it outside if I wanted. It's several years old and still working great. I don't use a light box that often so it works for me. If I did a lot of tracings for my quilts I would buy the best portable one.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    this is what I use. One can often find them on sale 3/$9.99 at Michael's. I have them for each project (quilt). The Olfa spinning cutting mat fits perfectly in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I use the clear square scrapbook cases and the little folding ott lite. Use the box to carry supplies and make it do double duty to become the light box.

Need to use the cord

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast