Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: light, dark, half & half, or middle-of-the-road?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    I'm planning a light cream and deep blue/green straight furrow log cabin quilt, but am perplexed regarding selection of the initial/center square fabric. Does one select the light or the dark fabric for this center piece; perhaps one half of the centers are light and one half are dark? Perhaps one uses a middle-of-road range color? ( I do not plan to use red or black.) I've glimpsed at the web for examples, and even saw one that looked like the quilter used two fabrics (i.e., each a triangle cut) for the one square center. Suggestions, ladies? P.S. I hope there are some male members of the board, but haven't noticed any yet; speak up too guys, if you are out there! Is there a traditional strategy (other than red or black) for the center selection, or just a matter of personal preference?

  2. #2
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,471
    I think it's just a matter of preference. Personally I prefer a darker center.

  3. #3
    tmg
    tmg is offline
    Senior Member tmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kimberly, Al.
    Posts
    771
    Personal preference

  4. #4
    Senior Member kimscruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    858
    Can you post pic of fabrics to see the prints ? The first thing I thought of was a rich brown . It really is a matter of personal preference .

  5. #5
    Senior Member Zebra2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jackson County, Kansas
    Posts
    368
    Brown was the first thing I thought of as well, since you are using creams on the light side.

  6. #6
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,666
    Traditionally red or black was used because the center square represents the hearth. Yellow is also a traditional color...meaning there is a fire burning in welcome. In reality, it can be whatever you want it to be. :D

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,276
    I think the original log cabins had a red center square to symbolize the hearth as being the center of the home? I have seen all different centers and I seem to prefer a dark one but do what looks good to you.

  8. #8
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,298
    yep, totally personal preference.

    Here are 4 examples made with a random LC block (I don't know the dimensions of yours):

    Light center - Dark center - Lighter value of the darker side - Accent (orange) color center

    Again, your logs and center have different proportions than the sample I used, so they might look a little different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    Fabric is going to be Beautiful Peacock/Timeless Treasures new fabric for the design darks; the lights creams are just from a variety of brands. Perhaps the near solid gold? (Sorry I haven't yet received the blue/green peacock fabric and don't presently have access to the creams.)

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    Thanks so much! That really helps. I like the dark.

  11. #11
    Senior Member kimscruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    858

  12. #12
    Senior Member grammy17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Largo FL
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    yep, totally personal preference.

    Here are 4 examples made with a random LC block (I don't know the dimensions of yours):

    Light center - Dark center - Lighter value of the darker side - Accent (orange) color center

    Again, your logs and center have different proportions than the sample I used, so they might look a little different.
    Thanks for taking time to do the picture samples and post. Shows the difference.

    I like the red best. Makes everything else pop.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    Yes, that is the collection. I have purchased six of the prints, including the one shown.

  14. #14
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by newBe
    Quote Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    Yes, that is the collection. I have purchased six of the prints, including the one shown.
    Well, newBe, that's a really interesting collection.

    If I were using those in a LC block - again, my personal preference - I might look at one of the many motifs in the fabric, and fussy cut them for use as the center block.
    It could be from the one shown in the link above, or one of the others.
    Maybe the circles in this one? Or the curlicues?
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-TT-8663-BLUE

    Keeps it all in the family, blendable, not so jarring as an accent color on the opposite side of the color wheel (like the orange - you said you preferred the darker look).

    And, since you're using it for the logs, you'll have shots of the color going through them as well.

    Again, personal preference.

    But it's a lovely fabric collection. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

  15. #15
    Senior Member kimscruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by newBe
    Quote Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    Yes, that is the collection. I have purchased six of the prints, including the one shown.
    Well, newBe, that's a really interesting collection.

    If I were using those in a LC block - again, my personal preference - I might look at one of the many motifs in the fabric, and fussy cut them for use as the center block.
    It could be from the one shown in the link above, or one of the others.
    Maybe the circles in this one? Or the curlicues?
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-TT-8663-BLUE

    Keeps it all in the family, blendable, not so jarring as an accent color on the opposite side of the color wheel (like the orange - you said you preferred the darker look).

    And, since you're using it for the logs, you'll have shots of the color going through them as well.

    Again, personal preference.

    But it's a lovely fabric collection. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  16. #16
    Senior Member QuilterGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Branson, MO
    Posts
    328
    Blog Entries
    25
    I was told that red is to used for the center block. That said I have been to many quilt shows and you can do what you like, it will be nice when it is completed.

    Man here.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by newBe
    Quote Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    Yes, that is the collection. I have purchased six of the prints, including the one shown.
    Well, newBe, that's a really interesting collection.

    If I were using those in a LC block - again, my personal preference - I might look at one of the many motifs in the fabric, and fussy cut them for use as the center block.
    It could be from the one shown in the link above, or one of the others.
    Maybe the circles in this one? Or the curlicues?
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-TT-8663-BLUE

    Keeps it all in the family, blendable, not so jarring as an accent color on the opposite side of the color wheel (like the orange - you said you preferred the darker look).

    And, since you're using it for the logs, you'll have shots of the color going through them as well.

    Again, personal preference.

    But it's a lovely fabric collection. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.
    I wondered if the center of that piece might be suitable for a fancy-cut center, but wasn't yet sure of the scale. (I've been so surprised when I actually receive the fabric that is ordered off the internet re: scale!) In addition to Hancock's of Paducah, there are additional coordinates including EQ903 Plume Abstract-Gold/Jade, EQ911 Plume Abstract-Gold, EQ906 Plume Leaves-Gold and EQ908 Plume Leaves Gold/Turquoise at Fabric.com. that would be considered if the fancy-cut fabric option is not feasible. If you select the family FROM THE NEW ARRIVALS PAGE, the six fabrics which I purchased (from Hancock's actually) pull up in the first two rows.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterGary
    I was told that red is to used for the center block. That said I have been to many quilt shows and you can do what you like, it will be nice when it is completed.

    Man here.
    Hello gent! Yeah! I did read that red is traditionally used to represent the hearth of the log home and that black was used to welcome slaves to the safehouse. I've been so thankful and excited to receive the responses.

  19. #19
    Super Member needles3thread's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,373
    Center should be red for a chimney on the log cabin
    or yellow for light shining through window of the log cabin

  20. #20
    Super Member teacherbailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tucker, GA
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by newBe
    I'm planning a light cream and deep blue/green straight furrow log cabin quilt, but am perplexed regarding selection of the initial/center square fabric. Does one select the light or the dark fabric for this center piece; perhaps one half of the centers are light and one half are dark? Perhaps one uses a middle-of-road range color? ( I do not plan to use red or black.) I've glimpsed at the web for examples, and even saw one that looked like the quilter used two fabrics (i.e., each a triangle cut) for the one square center. Suggestions, ladies? P.S. I hope there are some male members of the board, but haven't noticed any yet; speak up too guys, if you are out there! Is there a traditional strategy (other than red or black) for the center selection, or just a matter of personal preference?
    I like a center that stands out a bit, so lighter or darker, whichever you choose, I'd use a center with some contrast from what's around it.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would pull the gold and use a tone on tone print to represent the fires burning/welcome!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    824
    Love it with the red

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,200
    Your samples are beautiful! I really like the one with the red center, it seems to really make the other colors pop. How nice of you to do these for newbe. I really gives her some choices to pick from.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    berlin, ocean city md
    Posts
    43
    Without seeing both the light and dark, and after looking at this piece, I would think of using the circle and maybe the square would be bigger if neccessary or just a yellow that goes with the light and dark. Yellow stands out the most in quilting and I really like red. IT IS YOUR QUILT YOU DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEE HAPPY, GOOD, COMFORTABLE. Since you are using peacock maybe a yellowish green square for center.

  25. #25
    Senior Member katcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Olympia,Washington
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy17
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    yep, totally personal preference.

    Here are 4 examples made with a random LC block (I don't know the dimensions of yours):

    Light center - Dark center - Lighter value of the darker side - Accent (orange) color center

    Again, your logs and center have different proportions than the sample I used, so they might look a little different.
    Thanks for taking time to do the picture samples and post. Shows the difference.

    I like the red best. Makes everything else pop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.